VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this week I picked up a 1985 vw cabriolet. Only paid $800 for it. I bought the car as a fixer upper and probably going to just flip for a fun profit. The vehicle us 99% rust free, garaged most of its life. The vinyl roof is on the list for replacement and the carpet has already been removed. I have already repaired problems with shift linkage and am ready to tackle whats next. After driving it I have discovered a few more issues. My speedometer and odometer dont work, (tach wont go past 3k) aftermarket radio doesnt work and the blower fan doesnt seem to come on. Right directionals blink rapidly, and the wipers dont come on. There is a bad exhaust leak, and noises from front suspension. And there is not much vibration dampening. What are this this vehicles common problems? Ill post pics asap thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
new problems, overheating :( water pump pulley seems loose. there is 12 volts going to the radio, i guess the radio is just worn out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just this week I picked up a 1985 vw cabriolet. Only paid $800 for it. I bought the car as a fixer upper and probably going to just flip for a fun profit. The vehicle us 99% rust free, garaged most of its life. The vinyl roof is on the list for replacement and the carpet has already been removed. I have already repaired problems with shift linkage and am ready to tackle whats next. After driving it I have discovered a few more issues. My speedometer and odometer dont work, (tach wont go past 3k) aftermarket radio doesnt work and the blower fan doesnt seem to come on. Right directionals blink rapidly, and the wipers dont come on. There is a bad exhaust leak, and noises from front suspension. And there is not much vibration dampening. What are this this vehicles common problems? Ill post pics asap thanks
Cabbys have alot of electrical problems. the speedo is probably either the cable is broken or the cable has been removed at some point and the gear and snap ring have fallen inside the trans case, very common.

as for the tach its most likely a grounding issue either in the cluster or the wiring.

check you bulb connections one could be melted or a shorted wire somewhere or one of you bulbs has a bad filiment.

exhaust manifolds crack on these cars, ask me how i know :) or you could just have a wrotted out exhaust.

noise from the front end could be struts, balljoints, tirerods, wheelbearings, control arm bushings, or all of them ;)

motor mounts are probably bad too. rubber gets old cracks and breaks down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there some way to test the speedo cable? And how many motor mounts are there? Not too expensive from rock auto. Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
just remove it, thats about the only way to check to see if its broken, also check the cluster connection up inder the dash but for that you need to remove the dash bezel and remove the screws holding the cluster.

I saw Brian01234 gave you a pretty knowledable post on vwownersclub.. hes a very knowledgable guy ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts