VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1994 jetta gl, 2.0 manual. anyways it doesnt run it can be popped started. recently got a new batter and a new starter and put both in checked all the wires and stuff for the starter and battery they're all fine. i try to start it and no sound nothing the lights on dash come on and then go off when the keys all the way turned. anyone have any ideas? ive heard possible relay for starter and thats why it isnt turning over.. but if anyone has any other ideas im more then welcome to listen to them all thanks =P also i went braindead and cant think of what it is called but in the steering column theres a plug i unplugged and checked to see if it was working im pretty sure its called the ignigtion switch cant remember. if i heard the name id know. also i checked the starter with a screw driver and yes it works it doesnt engage and push out i think into the flywheel. im just really stuck and could use some advice and help thanks for your time =]

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
There is no starter relay on these cars, the starters fed right from the battery. Id say you need to replace your ignition switch if the starter and battery check out. Starters not getting the signal, common issue.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Hmm even i learned nothing today, i didnt know there was a starter cut off switch. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I think all mk3's had the safety switch, i had a 94' parts car and it needed the clutch depressed fully to start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The alarm will also cut out the starter circuit. You can "pop" start it, is jump it directly to the starter, but the ignition switch will not work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts