VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI. Last year I had a timing belt snap on me, and I replaced it. Check engine light has ben on ever since I've had loss of power and bad gas mileage, with sputtering until 4krpms, then car had full power. I checked cam timing again to make sure I didn't make a mistake, and it's dead on. I have been driving car last 10k miles with engine light on since it gets me to where I want to go. Recently, car begain running horribly, and actually broke down. Turns out the bolt on distributor came loose, and the thing was turned, causeing the timing to be so off car couldnt' do anything but idle. Since the distributor moves clockwise or cc/ I moved it with engine idling, and put it somewhere in middle. I looked in car, and check engine light was off. Now after 10k miles car has power back. Only problem is check engine light will blink under low throttle and turn off when I floor it. I will fiddle with the timing tomorrow to try and guess where to put it, but I am utterly confused as to how this could have heppened by a timing belt snapping. This thing must have looseded up in the past year, but somehow replacing the timing belt, messed up ignition timing. Car now has some good power back, but this blinking worries me. I am gonna turn it a little each way and experiment, but I need some input on this, and what needs to be done, what exactly happened, and why. I would appreciate any advice or input. Thanks!!

[ February 26, 2004: Message edited by: Vikingdj ]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
On most early 8vs the standard timing belt relpacement is get the cam and crank dead on and get the intermediate shaft close. Then turn the distributor to get timing back to where it should be.

On the MK3 motors there's a cam position sensor built into the distributor, so even if the ignition timing is right, the intermediate shaft could be in the wrong spot and if the "cam" sensor is off by a couple degrees it will light up the CEL. In other words, everything has to be timed perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts