VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1996 VW Jetta GLS with an automatic transmission. Recently, the transmission seems to stop shifting to 4th gear after a few minutes of driving (after a cold start), while seemingly shifting properly for the first few minutes.

Originally, I was having a hard shifting problem (in addition to the 4th gear problem), which was remedied by changing the transmission fluid and filter. However, the 4th gear shifting problem seems unchanged. On the highway, I get about 3000 rpm at 100 km/h (62.5 mph) on 4th gear, which becomes about 4000 rpm when the shifting problem kicks in.

Could this be a sensor issue? I am guessing - without much experience with cars - that this has something to do with the change in fluid pressure with temperature. Am I looking at an expensive fix? Is it at all wise to drive the car on the highway?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It might be the solenoid switch on your transmission. The auto tranny on my car started slipping at 180K miles and I made the mistake of changing the fluid and filter for the first time. Afterwards, it wouldn't shift into 4th gear. I took it to a transmission shop and they diagnosed the problem. I wouldn't take it on the highway until you have your 4th gear fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts