VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this about a month ago, it is a 2.0l engine. The problems I have been having are that in cold weather it has horrible problems starting. In warm weather it starts perfect and runs smooth. Now the car doesn't start at all.

What it does is it turns over just fine, before it stopped completely it would crank over and only start when I released the key. It would take a couple times to get it to go but it would eventually start.

Now when I release the key it pops and sometimes sputter a bit but not completely start.

I put a new ignition coil on and it did the exact same thing.
Well sorta anyway, I put the wire to the distributor and the connector on the new one, but didn't bolt it to the firewall since I'm stuck somewhere with no tools. not sure if that would make a grounding issue since there was no change between the two.

just need this thing to start one more time to get it to my nice warm garage. I really don't want to have to tow it since I'm pretty broke so any help would be fantastic and really appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't worry about the hanging coil. This wouldn't cause your car not to start. You can secure it with a plastic tie. Try cleaning the throttle body, especially the backside of the flapper inside. The cause also may be a bad air temperature sensor. This screws into the passenger side of the manifold. You can buy one of these online for around $25.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You need to reinstall the air intake hose that connects the MAF sensor to the throttle body. Plus, that rubber hose hanging from the top of the manifold needs to be plugged back into the side of the air intake hose. Without the air intake hose the computer system will not function properly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
He said its like that, thats not his car. Atleast i hope not, that person is retarded.
Agreed. What possible reason could you have for wanting to attempt to start the car with the air intake hose not hooked up? Some people should just stick to checking the oil when they've got the hood up.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Yeah gee i wonder why your cars not starting guy in the video, sooo dumb. I cant beleive how many times he tries. People like this make me wonder how the human race is still alive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I figured out what was wrong. It turns out that the rotor in the distributor was bad, it somehow got bent up so not enough spark to start when it was cold. Had to change the oil though from to much fuel getting into from flooding it. But runs amazing now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts