VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 P reg VW polo

She's only done 45k miles.

FAULT = The instruments on the dashboard aren't working - rev, petrol, temp gauge. They come on when I put the key in the ignition, then when I start the engine nothing. Air light bag has come on and the radio has started crackling and cutting out (not sure if this is connected or seperate)

Checked the fuses - all ok.

Could it be a cluster/ module behind the dash?

Please can you help.

If I need to take the dash off how do I disconnect the airbag and take dash off please.

For the record my dad is going to do it.

Thanks

Anna x

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
For the record my dad is going to do it.
we can't have anybody foxy doing the grunt work anyway:)

OK let's see.

First: you need to find out if that polo has a relay in combo with a fuse for the instrument panel (cluster) -i doubt it but check and replace if so.

Second. the thing your going to want to test (I don't have a polo wiring diagram so this is just basic VW troubleshooting) is the ignition switch. Wiggle your key and see if you car create and uncreate the problem with the engine on and off. Unconnect youe neg bat terminal (so the airbag is safe) There are two screws that remove the shroud from around the steering column -take those off so you can see the connections to the ig switch. Clean the connections and reseat. you shouldn't have to mess with the airbag -it is a seperate flat wire.

Third. the cluster. Ive never had to remove the steeing wheel out to get the cluster out -just take your time remove the few dash trim pieces with a philips and flat head. it is a couple screws and 2 connectors on the back of the cluster. I usually take apart the cluster and retouch the solder joints than clean the T connections and reseat. This will fix about 80% of cluster problems.

Forth: have you been wiring or meesing around around the fuse panel or main connections under the dash? perhaps wiring a radio, amp or alarm? because there are 2 wiring looms that go to the cluster than terminate at connections hidden somewhere under the dash perhaps above the fuses. They could possible be in play.

Because you say it comes on for a moment when you put the key in makes it some like a bad ignition switch though.

Do you have a bunch of keys or flare on a key ring that is heavy? if so it can cause the switch to go bad.

Good luck. Ill see if I can dig up a wiring diagram

Stay Foxy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts