VW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, the car has been sitting for six months. I charged the battery, siphoned the old gas out of the tank, and put in 1/4 tank of new gas. Engine cranks over but wont start. That's all I've done so far. Last year I had this problem when my car sat for three months but changed the ignition coil, spark plugs, oil change, new gas and fuel filter. Don't tell me I have do all of that again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Changed the fuel filter.. Still no start, but everytime the engine stops cranking over, air sprays out by throttle. No idea what that is.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
There isnt supposed to be air spraying out anywhere, i was would address that or tell take a picture of what it is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Intake valve stuck open? I don't know if a 2.0 is an interference engine or not... I don't think so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are going to let the car sit in the future for several months, try adding some Stabil gas preservative to your gas tank. Hopefully it will save you a few hours of labor in the long run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah well now I now.

But I'm in the process of changing out the fuel pump because I'm not hearing it when I turn on the ignition. Also, after cranking the motor several times, I checked the spark plugs and they're dry, no gas at all. So I'm thinking it's the fuel pump.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I checked out the throttle body area on my Jetta. The port you show that is blowing air should have a hose running from it back to the air filter box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I got that on there now. Just waiting for a fuel pump to come in today so I can install it. Go from there I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that's what my pops recommended since the spark plugs are dry when I crank the motor. So I changed the fuel pump right now, still no start. But the plugs are wet now at least. The car sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. Any other ideas I could try?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you checked the timing? Perhaps the timing belt jumped, or as happened to my 97, the crankshaft pulley slipped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So check this out. I push started the car by using another car and a tow rope and the car started. I gave it some gas to drive and it drove for a second and then bogged out. So push started it again and let it run for an hour and took it for a test drive. It drove alright, kinda studders until about 2.5k rpm then it drives normal. Let the car run for another hour, shut it off. Turn the ignition on, then started it right up. So now it starts. But the check engine light is on and the car kinda sounds rough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turns out the cylinders were misfiring. Changed the spark plugs and the car is good to go. But the CEL is still on, but that's because my O2 sensor is going out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts