VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help here. I am having trouble changing my girlfriend's air filter in her 98 GTI. I can't get the cover off with enough room to replace the stock air filter. Am I doing something wrong? Please help. It doesn't help when I said I could do it and she told me just to take it to the shop. It's a matter of pride now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
real easy...

when you look into the engine bay here's what you're looking at:

center: the engine (well no s#!t)
right: battery
left: the air box

you'll see a large black flexible tube connecting the throttle body to the air box. on the end of this tube where it enters the air box you'll see that there's a wiring harness connected to the tube. this harness is actually connected to the mass airflow sensor. (for future reference)

ok, so now that everyone knows each other...

undo the wiring harness to the mass airflow sensor.

release the two clips between the air box lid and the mass airflow sensor (one on the top, one on the bottom).

pull the mass airflow sensor out of the air box lid. you'll have to use some force here. just be careful not to damage the mass airflow sensor.

loosen the hose clamp that connects the 1 1/4" hose to the front of the air box lid and disconnect the hose.

release the 4 clamps that secure the air box lid to the base.

the lid should lift off. again make sure the clamps are out of the way before you lift the lid off.

remove/replace filter

put everything back the way it was (don't forget to reconnect wiring harness to mass airflow sensor)

late

1 - 2 of 2 Posts