VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic 1998 Jetta that is making a grinding/metal vibration noise every time I go past/stay around 2000rpm. The car shifts fine for the most parts but usually doesn't have a noticeable hard shift until 3000rpm. It has been like that for the past couple years but has always been fine but now I'm just worried with the noise. Additionally the check engine light is on but it has only been on after I disconnected the battery for the stereo about two months ago and this issue didn't appear until a week ago. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: The sound seems to be coming from the bottom center of the car. I also found a loose hose that seems to have been running against a belt on the front passenger side. I'm trying to look around for names of these parts but I can't seem to find any detailed pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked and it seems to be coming from the catalytic converter. Would it make sense to be that since it only happens at 2000RPM? Is there anything simple I could try to get rid of it or if it is that, should I just get it replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else? Help? Like I said:

I checked and it seems to be coming from the catalytic converter. Would it make sense to be that since it only happens at 2000RPM? Is there anything simple I could try to get rid of it or if it is that, should I just get it replaced?

·
Registered
47 Posts
sonic vibration from heat shield. tack it back in place w/ a welder if you have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts