VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this submission about 1.5 years ago and the only response I got was "gremlins". I can't buy that because this occurance was so timed out. Take a read and see if any of you have come across something like this since:

Had a very weird occurrence the other day. I start my car to leave work and the horn beeps 3 times in rapid succession. As I'm driving down the road, about every 1-2 minutes, it repeats this beeping.

"After about 10 minutes, my dome light comes on and my right rear window goes down. I'm fighting with the dash switch to try to raise the window because I'm about 5 minutes from driving through a 'wicked' thunderstorm.

"I pull off the road at a convenience store, turn off the car, restart, try the local window button on the door - NOTHING! The window is struck down and I've no way to get it back up.

"Needless to say, by the time I get home, my back seat looks like a scene out of "Waterworld." I'm pissed."

UPDATE - I've since disconnected my passenger side window controls and secured the window in the up position. No such occurance since.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
"gremlins"
>"intermittent and permanent faults"

horn beeps 3 times in rapid succession. As I'm driving down the road, about every 1-2 minutes, it repeats this beeping.
>security system erroneously telling the horn to beep? You may need homemade LED test lamps at various test points to catch this one if this problem is infrequent.

my dome light comes on
>the car thinks a door is open, probably due to an intermittent short to the chassis at one of the door switches.

my right rear window goes down
>a switch or connections to it are shorted or the switch contacts no longer close after the window went down. This should be visually easy to find if the problem is at the switch, and it's not intermittent fault.

Post back if you want more details as to how to attack these problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts