VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I need to do as far as engine mods to turn my 2.0 GLS into a 2.0 GTI? I know I need a turbo, but as far as getting it and other parts (I don't know which ones), where would and how would I get them?

thanks
-Jon

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TailpipeSmokeshow:
a lot of companies are selling superchargers for the 2.0L's. I think they are pretty expensive though. $2000 for the neuspeed if I remember correctly. That would bring you close the 1.8T hp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a SC 2.0 would not compare to a stock 1.8t. Even the 150 hp 1.8t would walk it , and certainly the 02+ 180 hp version.

from the nospeed site-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
In stock trim, the 2.0-liter VW engine can manage only 95.9 hp at the wheels. With the Neuspeed blower up and running, power climbed to 132.1 hp.Torque jumped from a base of 112.8 lb-ft to 140 lb-ft
If you had some tuning ability, I would say do a 1.8t swap for the most power, but by the questions you are asking I can assume not. So your best options for more power might be to trade to a newer car. Swaps are expensive!!!!! and you won't get much power out of the 2.0 w/ a Super Charger or Turbo, not to mention the amount of work that would need to be done internally to handle the boost. You can't just strap any source of Forced Induction to a Naturally Aspirated motor and expect it to work well for very long.

·
Registered
380 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:
If you had some tuning ability, I would say do a 1.8t swap for the most power, but by the questions you are asking I can assume not. So your best options for more power might be to trade to a newer car. Swaps are expensive!!!!! and you won't get much power out of the 2.0 w/ a Super Charger or Turbo, not to mention the amount of work that would need to be done internally to handle the boost. You can't just strap any source of Forced Induction to a Naturally Aspirated motor and expect it to work well for very long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True that it wont be reliable but a 2.0T will spank a 1.8t stock any day.

·
Registered
499 Posts
a lot of companies are selling superchargers for the 2.0L's. I think they are pretty expensive though. $2000 for the neuspeed if I remember correctly. That would bring you close the 1.8T hp.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIboarder:
The 2.0L engine does not have a turbo, they are the same engine used for both Golf's and GTI's. If your looking for a turbo swap, then you would need the VW 1.8T motor, or a turbo kit for your 2.0L. www.eiptuning.com has some kits.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect, I would be very wary of EIP. I know people that have bought turbos from them that were mislabeled, as well as the numerous horror stories you can read about here at this link. <---------

I would check out www.vwturbo.com That is ATP's website. They have a much better track record in the FI scene for dubs.

I would also avoid the supercharger route with any VW motor unless your getting a G60 swap. They just lack power when compared to a turbo setup that would cost the same or only a tiny bit more.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoLLinVDub:
True that it wont be reliable but a 2.0T will spank a 1.8t stock any day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then when you take the money you spent to turbo the 2.0 and use that for work on the 1.8, the 2.0 will get spanked.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
But then when you take the money you spent to turbo the 2.0 and use that for work on the 1.8, the 2.0 will get spanked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...the chicken or the egg?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:
1.8t = bulletproof

2.0t = time bomb
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY! i dont know what to do about mine..

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dubwink:
EXACTLY! i dont know what to do about mine..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ahhh 1.8t swap??? yeah def find a 1.8t with low miles (if possible), and BAM! there you go.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yo brian. or anyone reading this, can you guys help me find a used 1.8t engine? thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dubwink:
yo brian. or anyone reading this, can you guys help me find a used 1.8t engine? thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you not only need the engine but basically everything under the hood- so your best bet is to find the whole front clip of the car, that way you will have all the correct wiring harnesses and sensors. good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey i'm new to the forum
similar question in regards to op,
you guys are sayin that it would be better to find a 1.8t to swap out instead of turboing my 2.0 ('03 Gl btw), but what about the 24v vr6 would that be any more work to swap than the 1.8t?

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
hey i'm new to the forum
similar question in regards to op,
you guys are sayin that it would be better to find a 1.8t to swap out instead of turboing my 2.0 ('03 Gl btw), but what about the 24v vr6 would that be any more work to swap than the 1.8t?
Sell the 2.slow and buy a better car

·
Registered
8 Posts
i've been thinking about that but money is an issue, i'm aware that engines are cheaper to buy than the entire car, also my wife isn't the greatest at driving stick so if i was to say buy a 1.8t or vr6 of the same style or move up to the mk5 and get a 2.0t or new golf gti i'm going to want it to be a stick but in regards to the engine which would be easier? mounting, tranny all that stuff

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
i've been thinking about that but money is an issue, i'm aware that engines are cheaper to buy than the entire car, also my wife isn't the greatest at driving stick so if i was to say buy a 1.8t or vr6 of the same style or move up to the mk5 and get a 2.0t or new golf gti i'm going to want it to be a stick but in regards to the engine which would be easier? mounting, tranny all that stuff
Can you do the motor swap yourself? If not I wouldn't bother if I were you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nothin like bringing back a 6 year old topic.

In regards to your question. Like TTT, sell the car. The VR6 can handle the power of a turbo system, but its gonna be more expensive. The 1.8t can get a lot of power with a lot less money. I'm not a fan with the new body styles. 2010 GTI TDI is what i'll be getting next likely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts