VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new to the site mainly because i wanted to see if you guys might have some tricks of the trade when working on these cars that i dont know yet.

I have a 2002 2.0 jetta with 109k miles and started trying to do a timing belt change but ran into a snag when i started doing the crank pully removel.
My 1st question to you guys is there any tricks that you guys use to hold a back up on the pullys when taking them off? it doesnt look like any spots to stick a screw driver through and i tried a rubber oil filter wrench but that didnt really do anything...only thing else i can think of is an impact but i dont have my compressor at my house right now so any ideas guys?

and one more question is have any of you guys had a problem with or know someone who had the inside of the oil pan (where the plug bolt goes) brake?
i normally do all my own oil changes but had a gf take it up to a quick lube spot a while back because we had a busy few weeks...anyways 3 months later when i go to change the oil...the bolt just turns in the hole but doesnt back out...doesnt get tight...and also doesnt leak???? someone told me theres a back on the inside of the oil pan that is tak welded to the inside that brake off if the oil plug bolt is tighten too much....i think thats what happend but just woundering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Sorry for being long but thanks for reading..
looking forward to any comments

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had the same issue..but from what I remember when I did the belt on my 2.0 is the crank pulley didn't need to come off. Took me a bit of struggling before I realized it..

I could be thinking about something else though, it was 2 years ago now that I did the belt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts