VW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
That line returns oil vapours to the cylinders to be reburned as a emission control. Everything around that could get oily (Including your belts), dirty air could get in the crack and get into cylinders, and you could experience a mildy off idle. I would just fix it.
What's the best way to replace that PCV Breather Hose? Mine just blew Sunday on the way up to Mt. St. Helens visitor center. We duct-taped it back together so I could get down the mountain.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You just buy the new hose and replace the old one. It all slides together. Other than the slide pin at the breather valve on the cylinder head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The part of the hose that needs replaced is the L-Shaped one at the top - that's what blew. I was able to purchase JUST that hose....do I need anything else to repair it myself?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nope thats it but you should have got all the piping while your at it. It gets super brittle over time from all the oil vapours. My "L" shaped hose broke as well so i just went and bought fuel hose and used it for now. But when i went to hook it up my plastic piping just broke apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gosh - too bad you didn't respond sooner! Because what you said would happen, happened. As we were putting the elbow hose on the tube, right where it attaches to the tube, broke! VERY BRITTLE! I called an Auto Parts store here in Vancouver, WA & they said they have an oil resistant hose that would work in place of that plastic tube (and it's WAY cheaper). What do you think? Attach it with a coupler & a clamp...I should be good to go??

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Go nuts, thats what i did. Im not buying a 40$ plastic hose, thats ludacris. My fuel hose has help up just fine. The only problem you will run into is trying to connect it to the breather valve on the cylinder head. Leave a little bit of plastic hose at that end then connect new hose to it. You'll see what im talking about if look there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm with you there. My husband called the VW dealer here and they only sell it as a KIT...the hose & the plastic tube. We will have to use coupler's to attach the pieces - but I wanted to get a second opinion!

·
Registered
7 Posts
on that canister... there is a nipple on the back of it. Mine doesnt have anything connected to it. What line and where does it connect to??

·
Registered
15 Posts
:K: Thx a million!! I just replaced my front and rear brakes and find that the pedal pressure returned after bleeding the brakes; HOWEVER as soon as I turned the engine on the pedal became super-soft again.

I was told the booster may be bad and I logged in to find out more info. Thanks to you I NOW KNOW where the booster is!!!
when you bleed the breaks you need someone inside of the car pressing the break peddle while you open the bleed valve. have the person inside pump the breaks a couple of times while the bleed valve is open, the last time they press the break keep it held down until you close the valve then repeat until there is no air left in the lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think its the engine... My speedometer will cut out then start acting normal then stop working its so frustrating. same with my gas gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That would be your vehicle speed sensor, your engine speed sensor measures RPM's. I dont think its a problem with your sensor if your gas gauge is acting up as well. Could be a problem with the gauge itself. Pull out the gauge and check all the connections.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go nuts, thats what i did. Im not buying a 40$ plastic hose, thats ludacris. My fuel hose has help up just fine. The only problem you will run into is trying to connect it to the breather valve on the cylinder head. Leave a little bit of plastic hose at that end then connect new hose to it. You'll see what im talking about if look there.
I had the same problem except it was $70 from the vw dealer, I jerry rigged the old one but am considering having one made out of steel at a machine shop. I think that would take care of the problem forever.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts