VW Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
96 Golf GL, 2.0L. Just changed thermostat and temp seems to get to middle of gauge and stay there. Idling the rad fan does not seem to cycle on. Want to check the fan circuit, on my VR6 the fan switch was on the side of the rad, in the 2.0L diagrams I can't find it. Does the rad fan work off the temp sensor and the relays under the expansion tank, or does it have its own switch?

OK, found it on the middle left side of the radiator, same as always. Just making sure there are no leaks before I flush the system and switch whatever green, muddy stuff is in there now to G12.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah its the same as VR6. My fans didnt turn on after my thermostat replacement as well because i still had air in my system. Burped it all out and the fans worked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey I know this dosent have the relays included but my car is acting like the neutral safety switch has gone out and I'm looking for the main relay. My bently manual talked about it but it isnot listed on the relay panel under the dash. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey does anyone know where the OBD port on the golf is? Went to AutoZone to get my engine light checked and the guy couldnt find it to save his life. Help please.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OBD port

Never mind guys i found it. Yay!_! Only because i was tearing apart the dash. If i hadnt done that i cant say how long it would have took. Rofl, thanks anyways.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok dumb question what in the world is suppose to go where my finger is pointing to? the first pic the previous owner had some sorta cap on it but the cap fell off and in the 2nd pic they put a screw in the hole. and the 3rd looks like some sorta tubing was there but got cut off. its on a 1997 jetta 2.0
btw ya i know i have a dirty motor i should be ashamed:oops:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is the third pic just to the right of your oil filter housing? I can't tell.

But to answer your questions.
Picture one shows you pcv valve that regulates the Crankcase breather and the valve cover breather. The missing hose is for the crank case breather, the stock hose is brittle and expensive so most just use standard oil hosing to replace it.

In the second pic you are pointing to the crank breather port. This is were the other end of the crank breather hose connects.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the third pic just to the right of your oil filter housing? I can't tell.

But to answer your questions.
Picture one shows you pcv valve that regulates the Crankcase breather and the valve cover breather. The missing hose is for the crank case breather, the stock hose is brittle and expensive so most just use standard oil hosing to replace it.

In the second pic you are pointing to the crank breather port. This is were the other end of the crank breather hose connects.

Hope this helps.
yes it does help alot:K: the answer to your question about the 3rd pic yes it is to the right of the dipstick almost directly under the distributor. you wouldnt happen to know what size hose i need to make my own?

·
Registered
4 Posts
95 Jetta lll ECM/Computer

I found this post very helpfull..Thanks! But, do you happen to know where the cars ECM (computer) is located? Is it that black box under the rear seat?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ECM is actualy in the windshield wiper tray, to the right of your cabin air intake. the plastic covers to the tray have a handful of plastic screw clips that strip out easily so be carefull.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this isnt the right tread but i cant get responses on mine, sorry.

Any way i was wondering if anyone know if they make 16V heads for a mkIII 2.0. If so please, any link that would aid me in my quest to better an already awesome car would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow this Diagram was verry helpfull, my first euro car so still getting used to it. From the looks of the pictures it looks like you just removed your air filter housing box for that intake, did you install a mounting bracket in its place for the air filter you have on there now? how did your MPG change when you did that? Right now I am thinking of doing it cause I have to get in there and change my valve cover gasket, Thing is leaking all over

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
im running a cone filter right on my maf.. i dont have a support bracket on my car. just the filter. when i had a cold air intake on (aem brand) it had a small support tab off the pipe that i was using.. being that it was such a long pipe and went down behind the headlight.

(granted i have a mk4 1.8t) but you dont necessarily need a support bracket if its an intake thats going to stay up (short ram / filter on the maf) theres plenty for it to rest on to support it. IMO.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts