VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, my '00 Golf has 81k miles on it and the 2.0L engine runs like a top. However, within the last 20k miles I've noticed some nasty, slimy goo collecting on the inside of the oil cap. Every once and a while I'll see some tiny, milky deposits on the dipstick. This has me concerned.

The coolant level has remained at the full line, so I don't believe that there's gasket problem. Is there some breather that may be clogged allowing moisture to collect?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The moisture is due to blow-by, which really can't be reduced without changing the piston rings. You aren't consuming any oil, are you?

What I would recommend would be to change your oil, and substitute 1 quart of Dexron/Mercon ATF for 1 quart of oil. Yes, this is safe to do. The ATF is a high detergent oil, and adding it will clean out your lubrication system well. Just make sure to change it after 1000 miles, and you should be good to go.

If, after doing that, you still develop that slime, you probably need piston rings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the engine does consume some oil. I'd been sticking to VW's recommended 5000 mile increment oil changes, and noticed that the oil level does decrease some over the 5k miles. (1/2 to a full quart depending on type of driving).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure about new VW's but it used to be that consuming up to a quart of oil between 3000 mile oil changes was ok...for some cars considered normal. Which is why you check your oil every so often at the gas station.

I remember back with my 89 Jetta, i had that white goo in my oil...it was actually a leaky thermostat(it was a 95 2.0 engine)...but like I said, that was an old car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts