VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iwas just wonderin im gonna do my turbo vr in my mk II, however i was talking to this guy who works at one of the few euro tuner shop in my hood says that if im gonna turbo i should go 2.8 rather the 2.9 i was trying to track down. he also says hes been through a lot with the vr 3.0, 3.1. but 2.8 works best for him, cylinder sleeves are stronger in the 2.8 it can handle the boost pressure. is there anything wrong with boring out the vr or is he right? but the funny thing is on this site (vw forums)ive seen times of dubs doing 9,10, &11's running both the 2.9 and 2.8. does it really matter?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've seen a lot of guys run turbos both 2.8 and bored 2.9 motors. I don't think you will have a problem with a bored motor as far as the cylinder walls go. However you may want to leave the motor at it's stock bore until you get the most you can from the stock bottom end.
What goals do you have as far as power from this setup? How much cash do you have? And are you doing all of this work yourself? If you are looking to get below mid 12's it's going to be alot more work than just strapping a turbo kit on your motor. There may also be some things you haven't taken into account, like a clutch, tranny and lsd to handle all that power. All of which is a big drain on the wallet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id like to run a 2.9 turbo but im good with the 2.8 it being my first vr project. id like to be comfortable with a mid 12 run. but im not loaded so id will be working with a budget and trying to save up and get the big goodies>

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Build it on stock internals, once (if) they were to blow, upgrade with a stroker kit to 2.9 or 3.0. The sleves stay just as strong and you would put forged internals in. Nothing wrong with the 2.8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts