VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a UK spec Golf Mk3 Cabriolet.

How easy is it (i.e. how much does it cost) to fit a turbo or give a Mk3 Cabrio 2.slow a bit of a nudge in speed??

Not looking for a rocketship here, just a bit of a nudge

Preferably something like 9 seconds or below 0-62mph, no massive top-speed / crazy boost in performance (I have still got insurance to think about here!!).

Not sure how much extra oomph I can get with just a basic chip mod, K&N, exhaust, similar? (might save on insurance bills!!)

rgds,
Lostbok

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I've got an MK3 Golf 2.0 (same everything) I've gotten a moderate AND cheap increase in HP with the below setup. There are others on here with the MK3 2.0 with lots of different setups, including engine work.

Here's my mods \/ \/ \/

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I cant imagine that the 0-62 is more then 9 seconds to begin with. Basic mods are:
Chip: 7-10hp
Cams: 7-10hp
Intake: 5-7hp
Exhaust: 7-12hp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, this is the sor fo thing I was looking for.

That's why they call it the 2.slow: a 1998 Mk3 2.0 Cabriolet has a 0-60 of 11 secs!! Tin-top will be a bit fst, but not much!

Might try a few of those mods you've listed 98A4, 25-35bhp would probably be enough to keep me happy and still not kill my insurance or get too complicated.

My outgoing (very first) car is a E30 (1980's shape) BMW 316i LUX. 1596cc and even that had a 0-60 of 10secs! Probably something to do with a nice 8v engine that had a decent amount of low-end torque, but 105bhp @6500rpm and peak torque @5500rpm.

How complicated / time consuming / expensive is the cam work. Keep in mind that labour in the UK costs about U$70-90 / hour!

Any recommendations on a mod chip?

LostBok

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be recommended as the most simple, efficient way of getting a bit more out of the car without losing the low-end torque or killing my insurance?? Mod chip? If so, which one??

Really not looking for a sports car - I know it's a front wheel drive cabriolet, so really haven't got too much hope for it, but just frustrating to go from a 14 year old bigger car with a 1596cc engine with 105bhp (0-62mph in 10secs) to a 6 year old car with a 1984cc engine that only kicks out 115bhp (0-62 in 11secs).

I know the major factor is weight, not size of the car, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating....

Lostbok

·
Registered
414 Posts
when i had a 2slow jetta I put a 2.5" cat back exhaust on it with the nuespeed chip and then put a drop in k&n and removed the snorkel from the air box so it could just suck straight throught the big opening. It worked well, had about 8sec. 0-60, about 150hp I would guess, never dyno. The chip made the car twice as fast, seriously.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
87cab - how much do those Nuespeed chips go for and how difficult are they to install??

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Neuspeed chips are crap. Get a custom burnt one if you can. Autothority, or APT can custom burn you one according to your mods, but they are US based companies.
150hp out of those mods? I would think it would be closer to 135hp. OBD chips are very easy to install, they just pulg in place of the factory chip.

·
Registered
414 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Neuspeed chips are crap. Get a custom burnt one if you can. Autothority, or APT can custom burn you one according to your mods, but they are US based companies.
150hp out of those mods? I would think it would be closer to 135hp. OBD chips are very easy to install, they just pulg in place of the factory chip.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, like i said, i didnt dyno, just based it on the fact that i was kicking 150hp rated cars arses.

Not saying you should get a neuspeed chip, but definetly get one. I did all of this back in 98-99 so I know there is a lot more out there now. The chip I got was simple, just pop the old out and put the new in, no soldering on the model i had, and was like $100 back then i think.

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: 87cabriolet ]

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
you should do your exhaust and intake first..... then if you are going to get cams have them installed after the engine is getting more air and speeding the spent gas away faster. after these basic mods are done get your chip burnt custom and tell the company exactly what mods are done that way they can program the chip to get the most out of what you got.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
veedubgolf97 - would I be able to do this gradually and get a bit extra out of the intake / exhaust first... see where I'm at and then look at cam work (isn't that pretty expensive?)... then you reckon it's best to do the chipping right at the end?

By "intakes" do you just mean something like some K&N air filters or would you recommend something a bit more extensive? Sorry I'm a real newbie to this.

What sort of increase should I get out of the following starting options:

a) Standard out the box chip.

b) (a) + K&N (intakes)

c) K&N and then customised chip.

d) K&N + exhaust and then customised chip.

e) K&N + exhaust + cams + customised chip.

As you can see I'm leaving the cam work right to the end as I'm a little worried about it - just feels expensive.

Trying to work out how far I should go and then go for the customised chip.

The more I think about it, th emore I realise that I really don't reckon I need THAT much power, it's not a light car, but it's got a bit of power there already - like I said, I've still got insurance to pay! I reckon about 150bhp is all my insurance will stand up for. Anything more and the insurance goes through the roof!

Plus I live in London, so I have to drive for about 40 mins before I get to a motorway / more than 400yds of road that doesn't have either cameras or speed bumps.... there's a few nice chicanes though ;o)

How much can I get just by getting a really decent chip and what are the side effects? Will I be down to 20mpg and the engine will blow up in 6 months or is it okay to do that?

LostBok

·
Registered
414 Posts
what i would do if i were you is in this order:

1) exhuast
2) k&n drop in filter, remove snorkel from front of box for more air flow, it works.
3) chip & cams if you want the cams. It sounds to me like you would be happy with out the cams though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the exhaust front: what would be the recommend "standard" looking exhaust?

I was thinking about just trying to get a VR6 exhaust or something along those lines. Very keen for it NOT to have a completely "boy-racer" look and a there's nothing that does that more than big alloys and great big trumpet out the back and the car that I'm getting already has 17" alloys and low profile Toyo Proxes T1-S's.

K&N drop in filters sounds good.

Then I just have to call up a company and get a chip burnt for my mods.

What sort of bhp should that get me out of the 2.0 8v?

How much extra power for a slightly more "performance" orientated exhaust?

Not too keen on cam work, but can always look at it later.

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What can I get in the way of bhp increase just on K&N filters and a standard out the box chip upgrade?

rgds,
Lostbok

Sorry, I know I'm asking hte same questions again and again, but I keep on working out what I want and then realising my insurance has gone up by 80%.... going back, a few less tweaks and then realising it's still a 50% hike in insurance.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
A K&N filter wont give you much power, but you will feel a better throttle response. As far as chips, I think both Autotech and TT Tuning claim 8-10 hp for the 8v chips. Those seem to be the most popular and best chips for the 8v.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LostBok:

Sorry, I know I'm asking hte same questions again and again, but I keep on working out what I want and then realising my insurance has gone up by 80%.... going back, a few less tweaks and then realising it's still a 50% hike in insurance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your insurance will rise 80% because of a 30hp gain?

K&N + Chip will bring you to about 130hp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts