VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The soft top on my Cabrio is coming apart at the seams. The main exterior seam where the two halves of the soft roof come together is splitting near the top on the vertical surfaces to the sides of the rear window. It looks like it was glued at the factory and the original glue is just dried up (whit-ish residue). No tears or issues, just coming apart.

Thinking about trying to re-glue the two parts together and looking for advice on the best adhesive. I was recommended E6000 but I've worked with it before and I don't think it's strong enough. Otherwise a high strength slow cure epoxy may do the trick but if I put it on and it doesn't work it ain't comin' off.

Other thoughts besides glue?

Thanks, Steve

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Can we get a picture of the area? Might help in suggesting an adhesive since most of them are prejudice of their contacts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can we get a picture of the area? Might help in suggesting an adhesive since most of them are prejudice of their contacts.
Fair enough...it's toward the top of the vertical main seam, near the point where the vertical turns to the horizontal. It's a tension point where the frame of the top imparts pressure so it's not surprising to me it could separate with time. Otherwise the top is in insanely good condition.

I'll snap a pic this weekend and post.

Thanks,
Steve

·
4,054 Posts
I would take it to a professional uhpolster and have them re-sew it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts