VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My 2000 Cabrio had a heavily worn clutch so I went ahead and replaced the clutch disc, flywheel, and pressure plate. After replacement the clutch is still slipping at higher rpms. I figured the auto-adjusting clutch cable might be at fault and installed a manually adjusting cable.

I have tried adjusting the cable to both extremes and it still slips. At the moment I have about 1cm of slack on the cable.

I was careful keep the clutch surfaces clean while installing it.

Does anyone have any idea why the clutch might not be engaging fully?

Thanks!

Release arm position (engaged):

Actuation finger:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Info

Here's a video of what the actuation finger is doing:

Here's a video of the release arm:

·
Registered
353 Posts
How did the flywheel look? If there was wear that would cause your issue. Did it line up good? The amount of oil on top of your transmission kinda worries me as to how much got on the clutch. Also is there water on the ground were you live because that inspection cover likes to let in moisture and cause the transmission to slip. I usually seal it up with silicone to prevent it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
how many miles do you have on the new clutch?
when i did my clutch it did the same thing, but after 1000 miles it tightened up, go rele easy on it for the first 500-1000 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

The new clutch has less than 15 miles on it.

I'm pretty sure that none of the oil on top of the transmission made it inside. It was leakage from filling up the transmission.

I replaced the old flywheel along w/ the clutch and pressure plate.

I like your idea that the clutch has to be broken in. Is this common?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
from what ive heard they need a break in period, kind of like a new motor, just baby it and let everything seat. mine did the same thing and it was my first clutch job so i was like "oh fuck i messed it up" but once i hit around 800-1000 miles it stopped acting up. i think if you put some miles on it, itll stop slipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts