VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im having issues.. for the past 2 or so weeks my antifreeze has been disappearing faster and faster, ive gone through about a gallon of 50/50 in these 2 weeks. ive seen no sign of leaks and this morning was the first time i smelled antifreeze burning. i have no issues with its driving (acting normal, no hiccups), there is pressure in my reservoir (the cap lets out a hiss if i open it while still warm).

I have noticed theres some white crust on the ends of my upper radiator hose between the radiator itself and the hose clamp.. if anyone can give me some advice or ideas thatd be great

[edit]
no white smoke from exhaust
no puddles under car
no antifreeze on or around water pump housing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was the head gasket wouldn't there be white smoke and wouldn't it have issues driving?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a pinhole in my rad it would drip down into the bumper valance and would never notice a drip. Check your rad closely for rust and corrosion. Id lose more of my fluid throu the small hole after driving the car fairly hard. I guess the pressure/volume lf rhe flow goes up as the water pump spins up with the rpms

·
Registered
653 Posts
The reason I said head gasket is because you are loosing coolant AND you have pressure in your cooling system

To be sure you should do a compression or leakdown test and/or a chemical test, the chemical is sold at auto parts store, you mix some of your antifreeze with the solution and it changes color if you have combustion fumes on your coolant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts