VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both cooling fans, and A/C went out. Jumped fans, they work. Figured the radiator sensor could be the problem, for 7 dollars its worth a try, nothing. fuses good, I thought a call to BAP was in order. They said the control module goes out a lot, so a new module was put in, still nothing. The engine has not run hotter then 190, but it did turn on a fan once when I got home from work. Pressure in the system shows 120psi on the manifold set, and the pressure switch has been replaced too. Clutch not engaging, and the aux fan does not kick on. I'm stumped! :confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 1.8t I used to drive used to drive me nuts. Ac would only come on if I let it idle until it started getting hot and the radiator fan kicked. Then the ac would work awesome. That's it. Eventually the rad fans stopped working all together. I had to hardwire a switch to them. The fan control module didn't do me any good either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the compressor was bad, wouldn't the cooling fan still turn on when the A/C is activated?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If the compressor was bad, wouldn't the cooling fan still turn on when the A/C is activated?
Iirc this is a true statement. And my car also would not engage the fan. And as soon as overheating caused it to kick the fans on the ac would work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Razz Shouldn't the compressor kick on even if its freezing outside? I thought they use the A/C system to pull moisture out of the air, so it should also kick in defrost mode. I replaced the thermal switch at the t-stat housing, and still nothing. I hate "shot gunning" things but Its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Razz Shouldn't the compressor kick on even if its freezing outside? I thought they use the A/C system to pull moisture out of the air, so it should also kick in defrost mode. I replaced the thermal switch at the t-stat housing, and still nothing. I hate "shot gunning" things but Its driving me crazy.
I think so.

and yes you should be able to kick the compresser on either way. And its not happening. with my car i had I gave up on it just before selling and told the guy that it was probably inbetween the ac compressor and and the switch or something. at least I THINK i told him... lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
It could be the compressor clutch coil. Use an ohm meter and measure the resistance across the two terminals. You should see you about 4 ohms resistance. If you don't get any resistance it could be a bad coil.

If the coil is bad you can replace it without discharging the Freon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FOUND IT!! You wont believe this, but here goes. If you bang the fuse block above the battery around while the car is running it would start and stop. I bypassed the fuse block with a jumper wire and it worked. $130 for a fuse block through VW, but free to take it apart, clean everything and reassemble it. It works great now. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts