VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine cracked his oil pan the other day on a lovely pothole that was poorly fixed. Oil pressure light came on withing a quarter mile then shut it off and had it towed. We replaced the oil pan. did it properly. now that car will run but if you let it idle under 2000 RPM is stalls out. Runs perfect and smooth above 200 RPMs. any suggestions

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the car shut off, there is damage. Just replacing the oil pan isn't going to be enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like YOU shut it off, when the light came on, not that it shut itself down? I'm wondering if the light coming on tripped a sensor that kills the motor to protect it? or that you possibly suffered some oil pump damage when the level dropped. was the oil pan dented in at all or just cracked? could be the pickup is contacting the bottom of the pan and due to suction is not able to take up oil? just ideas.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The light doesn't trigger a sensor to shut things down. If the engine shuts down after the pressure light comes on, its because there isn't enough pressure and damage has been done. Driving with that light on can still cause damage if pressure is dropping low after busting the pan. Even if you turned it off yourself, I would still be concerned about damage. I busted my oil pan a few years ago. Pulled over immediately. Replaced pan and no issues at all. But my light didn't even get a chance to come on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts