VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and really needing some advice on the new car I purchased.

**I did look through the threads to make sure I wasn't re-posting**

First things first, I just bought the Jetta three weeks ago from a friend. The car has sat for two and a half years, but was started and ran intermittently. I drove the car for almost 2 weeks with no problems, then last Sunday the oil light comes on. It blinks and beeps 3 times extremely loud in the car at low speeds (15-20). The light will continue to blink as I increase speed, but will not beep. I called 3 local mechanics and they all agreed that the sump pump screen was clogged and that it had sludge in the oil pan. (BTW the mechanics quoted me $550 to do this job). I dropped the pan with my dad and checked the screen....nothing. There was a little sludge in the pan, but not enough to write home about.

My question is this...can the oil sending unit(sensor) be bad after sitting for almost 3 years? Also, we discovered that the oil dipstick guide was broken and repaired very shoddily. We have ordered a new one to replace it, but have not installed it yet. Do you think that it is not getting the proper seal and that would send a signal for low oil pressure?

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello , did you change all the filters and oil ? After sitting that much ,this is a must for your car, also consider changeing all the fluids(coolant , brake fluid,... ) and tyres.
Also a liitlle pacience wont hurt :D .

·
Registered
682 Posts
Kinda quiet on the forum on the weekends.
The broken dipstick tube might cause some vacuum related problems like rough idle. Not sure it would cause low oil pressure - maybe the oil pump is gummed up.
There's a recent thread on the dark side website which makes interesting reading - oil sludge thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you. I ordered a new dipstick guide as well as a oil sending unit. I'll install this weekend and find out if that was the issue!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts