VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now had my 2000 Jetta 2.0L for a month after buying it certified from my local VW dealer. The first week I had it, I let my buddy drive it and while he was at the wheel, he told me to keep an eye on the oil level cause his girlfriend's 2001 2.0 Jetta eats 2 quarts a month or 3000 miles.

I figured it was just something hers did until the other day I was driving and my oil light and BUZZER came on and flashed. I immediately cut the engine and coasted to the side of the road to see what the deal was. When i wiped off the dipstick and stuck it back down, it came back completely dry. I was amazed cause I know the dealer had everything topped off and they said they changed the oil when I bought the car.

So, I had to add 3qts of oil to get it back to spec. About a quart sits within the engine when it's at normal operating temp, I found. (this seems normal).

Anyway, has anyone else seen anything like this? Is this a "known issue"? Looking at the right (drivers) side of my engine under the plastic 2.0 VW cover, I notice some dirty oil residue covering the wire hoses and other components. That looks to me to be one cause. I'm getting 31mpg (mostly highway 75mph +) and the engine sounds just as loud as it should be.

Tuesday I have an appointment to get it looked at for lots of little issues. I had a 30 day period where they would replace/fix anything I wanted, so this is my big day to make a huge list (which I have done).

Any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
yes, it is a normal issue witht jetta 2.0, however it is not normal to burn 3 quarts in a month, your either exxagerating, or you have a leak, i have a 2.0 and just changed my poil change routine from 3000, to 2000, not a big deal, get it looked at, gl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its something with the internal seals...you wont see any leakage externally but it will burn the oil. I read about this problem on the 2.0's although I never had it with mine...sumtin I would take up with the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its something with the internal seals...you wont see any leakage externally but it will burn the oil. I read about this problem on the 2.0's although I never had it with mine...sumtin I would take up with the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that information!

I actually have my Jetta in the shop right now for that problem and a few other little things. I would say that the oil problem is the one I'm most worried about. I wonder if they have to do the procedure you talked about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you call vw support line (go to vw web side and get a number) there is two things that they have to do first change cylinders and if that does not works than they must put new engine in your car (that is procedure that they have to follow). Because they have no idea what is the reason for loosing oil. On the last test which is 1600km drive you car for extra 400km so it can lose more oil and than take your car in shop. Only thing that you have to do is call them as many time as possible and push then to fix it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks dude... just got the call from the dealer shop. They want to keep it over night again. They have it up doing compression tests. I'm assuming they're going through the official oil loss procedure. The other known issue with the car is the oxygen sensor being faulty. My emission check engine light was on since i got the car... so i'm looking forward to having that fixed...

If these things can all be fixed, i'll be happy. Otherwise, it won't be a very fun time for this first-time VW owner.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my check engine lite just went on and i have a 99 jetta 2.0 w/ 31500 miles, and nothing physically sounds wrong, anyone know if this is a dealership tactic, or should i take it seriously??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the engine emissions light. You should have it checked, cause among other problems, you would have lower gas milage or you could do stuff like melt your cat converter.

Mine's being replaced right now and they needed a new sensor. I'm assuming it's an oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Toronto

I have 2002 Golf 2.0l and I had same problem. (losing oil) it's not leaking anywhere is just burning it. So anyways I did three tests for oil level. First two test for 1200km to check oil level and last test for 1600km. After 1600km I lost 1/2L. In vw dealer they had to change cylinders diameter (new cylinders), engine gaskets. After changing I have no problems with losing oil anymore.
Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts