VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't know much about VW's I was hoping you could help me out. Its posible that I may just be getting a VR6 Jetta but I don't know much about them. If you could help me or please do. I have a few question, here goes some. DOHC or SOHC? Able to fit a turbo or super charger on stock engine, yes or no? WHats with the big plastic thing on the engine? Any thing else you think I should know? Please don't hestitate to tell me. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blahman240:
I have a few question, here goes some. DOHC or SOHC? Able to fit a turbo or super charger on stock engine, yes or no? WHats with the big plastic thing on the engine? Any thing else you think I should know? Please don't hestitate to tell me. Thanks in advance!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are turbo and supercharger packages that use the stock internals. www.eiptuning.com and vf engineering are two that some of the VR guys around here mention.

To be honest, I don't knw if it is DOHC or not, but thats cause I have a 1.8T.

The "big plastic thing" is just an "ornamental" cover for the motor, and also serves to hold all your wires in place. There are guys running with it off, but it doesn't effect performance.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
If you consider the VR6 to be a V6, then its a SOHC engine, as it is one cam per bank (at least on the 12V). With the intro of the 24V, that just got harder to determine. The 24V head has both cams (still 2 cams) driving valves for cylinders on the opposite side.

I would consider both DOHC engines, though you could argue that the 12V has one cam per bank, making it SOHC. But since its all on one head under one valve cover, its a DOHC, and we'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've desided buying a VR6 is kind of a stupid choice. Buying a 1.8T would be a better choice. Yes it's a tiny bit more pricy but in the long run having a turbo car will help me out when I want to do bigger mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts