VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 jetta gas 2.0L. 185K miles

About 2 weeks ago one very cold night it wouldn't start, then in the AM it started fine.

Ran for about a week with no problems and figured it was the cold until it happened again on a mild day. I had started the car twice running errands and after the third errand it wouldn't start. The engine was turning over it just wouldn't ignite. Tried a few times, without luck, half hour later it starts. Later that day it wouldn't start again, then two hours later it starts first try.

Yesterday I took it to mechanic who thought it might be the security system disabling it, told me to try locking/unlocking it next time it didn't start, or to leave car unlocked and see what happens. Started next five times I drove it but on the sixth drive it didn't start. I waited 5 min and it started right up.

Today I brought it in to have spark plugs/wires and a tune up done because I'm sure it was due for a tune up anyhow and I'm hoping this will fix the problem although my mechanic didn't seem that confident that it would.

If it starts failing to start again after the tune up where do I go from there, I'm starting to consider looking for a new car at this point rather then dump too much into this one, but if I could get past this issue and get 6 more months out of the vehicle that would be great.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
47 Posts
Security is tied into the body control module. my buddy's Passat did the same thing and the BCM that was located under the rug on the driver's side was essentially laying in a puddle, corroded to hell. simple fix once it was diagnosed. Does your car lock itself after minute or two after unlocking it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Security is tied into the body control module. my buddy's Passat did the same thing and the BCM that was located under the rug on the driver's side was essentially laying in a puddle, corroded to hell. simple fix once it was diagnosed. Does your car lock itself after minute or two after unlocking it?
If I drive it then leave it unlocked as I tried to test the mechanic's theory, then it does not lock itself.

Because the problem persisted when the car hasn't been locked I assumed that the theory of it being a security system issue was incorrect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I drive it then leave it unlocked as I tried to test the mechanic's theory, then it does not lock itself.

Because the problem persisted when the car hasn't been locked I assumed that the theory of it being a security system issue was incorrect.
I believe that the doors locking themselves is just a secondary symptom of BCM issue, and has nothing to do directly with the car starting, but simply shows the BCM, which also controls ignition is at fault. This is just what happened to someone I know, I'm not stating known facts here. He was like you, and eventually could not get it started again.

Is this an automatic transmission? if so, check your neutral safety switch, that is a known problem. if the transmission doesn't think it's in park, it won't allow the car to start in an "unsafe situation" such as in gear. next time you have a starting issue, leave the key on, cycle the shifter from park to low back to park and kind of rock the car back and forth. you may knock a stuck pin loose and allow it to drop in place setting the safety switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts