VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;)Hey guys, new to the VW game and just picked up a 2000 Jetta VR6 knowing it had some issues I decided it would be my little commuter.....

I have worked on autos for long time, but mostly domestics and diesel pickups so I have read up on these cars and know they have some of their own little qwirks so I figured I would ask you guys.

The VR6 sounds like a diesel at idle (click, clack, click, clack) not REALLY loud but very noticable. I read up on that intake rod, but it seems that the noise that makes is only at 2k to 4k RPM's. But the sound I have is almost identical but at idle. No noise as your driving other than low RPM's.

Would you guys assume timing chain? 172k miles.... I am fairly sure its never been replaced..

The trans is auto and will not go into 1st gear or reverse for about 10 seconds after you shift. Kind of like its sitting in neutral. Once its warmed up though there aren't any issues......solenoids?

Lastly, I picked up a 5spd trans, shifter with linkage, clutch pedal and cv axles from a 99' VR6 for $350 on CL, would the swap be worth it. I have read that everyone seems to really like it and if the car had lower miles I would jump straight on it, but with 172k should I just leave it alone?

any other info you guys have on things I should check and such would be great. The car drives and rides like a dream but I want to make sure it stays that way as long as I have it.

Sorry for writing a book here

1 - 1 of 1 Posts