VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!? I have a 2000 VW Golf. I've had it for the past five years or so. About six months ago I noticed that the temperature gauge would go to 190, but then dip down to the minimum when on the highway.

I took it to my VW repair place and they fixed the thermostat. They said that it was sticking open when it was warm, but then failing to close when it was getting cooler. Around the same time, I noticed performance issues and ended up replacing a clutch.

Now I've noticed similar things. Although well in the 80s/90s, today on the highway, the temperature dipped down to nearly minimum. When I got off the exit, it climbed back to 190. There is also a barely noticeable (though noticeable) performance issue when the temperature dips down.

Any thoughts? The repair shop said they couldn't see me until next week. I'm concerned that it could cause more expensive damage that a simple thermostat, which nevertheless cost me close to $200 to replace.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sounds like the same problem as mine and mine is the temperature sensor is bust im replacing mine tomorrow so will soon see if its defo that for you :)

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Put your hand on the hoses by the thermostat. Should be a huge temp difference.
If not thermostat is likely busted. Easy way to tell.
Power drop would be from less efficient engine operations with a cold motor.

If it's just a false reading then likely the sensor.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Yep. The radiator side hose should be cool cause there's coolant that has been through the radiator on that side. It's awaiting for the thermostat to get hot and open up.
Once it opens it lets through a bunch of cooled coolant, the hot stuff goes through the radiator and awaits till the car needs it again.

If they're both nearly or are the same temp then the thermostat is stuck open. Which would leave to over cooling of the motor at highway speeds and even over heating at idle because the coolant is not getting cooled by the fans long enough to make a difference. The car would have trouble keeping good power. The motor needs to be warm for the pistons and rings to seal up properly, for the gasoline to vaporize correctly which all helps with power and efficiency in the chamber.
Since gasoline likes to bead up into droplets and not vaporize unless it's hot.

Could easily have been that the guy who replaced your thermostat used a cheaper part instead of oem. So it didn't last long.
It's very easy to replace you should do it yourself. I'm sure there's a diy video to find that'll make it a breeze.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts