VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I just got a 2001 GTI 1.8T. from a guy on craigslist, I knew nothing about these cars, I was just looking for a 4 cylinder to get me back and forth to work...but I figured something was wrong when I got passed by a Smartcar in reverse...then a kid on a 10 speed beat me from 0-60...so I started to suspect something...anyways...

I've only driven it for a day or so but I tried to time a 0-60 to get a benchmark and I would say its between 18-22 seconds...looking online I have seen 7-8 seconds as norm for this car, its no where near that...(It would be really cool if it was)

The previous owner said he replaced these parts: "It has new nkg spark plugs the good ones $60 for 4 of them, new mass air flow sensor it was $180, brand new coil packs and coil pack harness this is a common problem with vws that are turbo the crack and I put in a new one, new timing belt and water pump, new fuel filter also.."...(I'm thinking he knew something was up and tried to replace all these things to fix it...) anyways...

I hear the hiss of the turbo when I drive but I have no idea how to test if its working or if there is a leak..but even if there was a leak or it was not working would the performance be that bad?...

There are no lights/codes on the car...I use premium gas...and other than that the car seems to run well...only thing I did notice is the car smells a little of gas when I am driving..

Any guesses or suggestions on where I should start to look?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
scan that poor thing. im sure it will be throwing codes. autozone, advanced auto will scan for free. when they do, write down the codes and their exact numbers and post them on here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to Autozone yesterday and they scanned it...and they found no codes....but today on the way in to work the check engine light just came on...(I suspect the guy had codes before, cleared them before he traded me and now this just came on.) I'll go again today and see what its reading now...Thx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Get codes and consider installing a boost gauge. Then you'll know at least if you're boosting properly.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
16795/P0411/001041 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Hoses/Pipes to/between Components faulty/clogged
Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101) faulty
Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299) faulty
Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
Check Secondary Air Injection Hoses/Pipes for Carbonization
Check Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101)
Check Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299)
Check Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)

from this site.16795/P0411/001041 - Ross-Tech Wiki you can punch in the code, search, and it comes up with that info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have to check the hoses, then the air pump, solenoid, and relay...Would this be considered a vacuum leak? I found this video...pretty funny... on troubleshooting leaks with a cigar...
but I just want to make sure that I am headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like u prob have a huge boost leak. Check to see if you intake / intercooler hoses are disconnected. Follow it all the way from the air filter into the bumper then to the throttle body

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You were right on the money, I took it to a local VW Mechanic and we test drove it and he said my Turbo hose had a leak. He is replacing it now. I'll let you guys know how it runs after.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
If the place does not open the hood, and the ecu is programmed for the missing parts, it will pass. Im waiting to get a hold of my local tuner guy to program my ecu. Inspection is due in Dec.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Replaced the Turbo Inlet Hose and this runs like a different car. 0-60 is now at 8.5 seconds in my automatic transmission...(clocked with my iphone) This thing is much more fun to drive now. Now discovered 4 new codes..will do some searching on them..
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All the post are great solutions to find the issue. Do not start throwing parts at it either. Take your time and Diagnose. use all the options we are posting. More than likely its a boost or vacuum leak. MK4 and mostly all Turbo charged cars have boost or vacuum leak issues. An air compressor regulated at 15psi is also a great way to find boost and vacuum leaks also make sure to look while the car is HOT! some issues wont be found if the car is cold. Some hoses will expand a lot when hot by the intercooler.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts