VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I'm entering a SLIGHTLY biased site, but anyone who thinks they can give me an evenhanded answer, please step up.

On epinions.com, you have Jetta owners gushing over their cars. Unfortunately, most of them have owned them for less than a year, so the bloom ain't even off the rose.

On carsurvey.org, the majority of owners regret the day they ever set eyes on a Jetta, warning anyone who will listen NEVER to buy one.

What gives?

I am looking at a 2001 Jetta GLS w/ 43k miles, I dont believe it is a turbo. I have always thought of VW's as being reliable, well built cars, but after reading hundreds of horror stories about problematic Jettas, I am scared to spend my hard-earned cash to purchase this car.

I thought maybe I could come and ask the people who actually own Jettas, Have you had any problems or know that certain year (particulary 2001) Jettas have common problems? Thanks a bunch for your help.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I own a 2003 1.8T GTi and I have had no problems so far. The engine seems quite reliable, as I even hammer it once in a while.

As far as the 2.0's go, I have heard nothing but good things about them. The engine has really been the staple engine for the Jetta/Golf lineup for over ten years (I believe that they were also in the Mk2's, but not positive; somebody else will chime in). The engine is built to last, if not to make tons of power...

Anyway, hope you chose VW; I can tell you that I have never regreted the decision...

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I own a 01 Jetta 1.8T since new the following are what has been needed to be replaced.

- O2 Sensor
- Wiring and Fuse block for Fan
- Coil Packs
- Brake recall check

The car now has nearly 40K and has been running strong. Love the car...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
From my past experiance with e-opinion sites, they are almost always biased towards the negative sides of anything. If you think about it, the only time people really want to let everyone know they their opinion on something is when it's negative, it's rare you find a opinion site thats mostly positive. I've own two VW's in the past few years.
2001 GTI 1.8t
-Coil Packs (recall)
-Rear Hatch wouldn't open
-Window Regulator (recall)
I had some other misc. things happen but it was my fault and not VW's fault

2001 Jetta 1.8t
-Light bulb on Air Controls went out

All of those problems are from me not messing with the car. Now the list of mistakes i've made that made something go wrong on the car is a tad longer

jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:

-Light bulb on Air Controls went out

jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha...

Happens to the best of us, Jon.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I got Climatronic, so I don't have that problem!

Edit: Left the t off of that.

[ March 05, 2004: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have a '01 GTI 1.8T. I havn't had any major problems with the car. Here's my list

Window Regulators (Recall)
Coil Packs (Recall)
Door Alignment
Passenger seat came unstitched (they gave me a new one)
CEL came on, no problem found
Vacumn leak, hose replaced
Cracked power steering pump, replaced.

All of this was done under warranty.
Overall, I love the car, it is my first experience with VW, and was so significanly better than the other cars I have had that we bought my wife a New Beetle two years later.

I would advise against the 2.0 if possible, I think it is louder, cruder, and definately less powerfull than the other two engines. Out of all the people whom I personally know (not on this website) with VW's. The only one who has had regular problems and hates her Jetta bought the 2.0. The others like or love their cars, and havn't had any major problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts