VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

I just bought my first car... 2001 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 Overall I love the car but as am drivig it am seeing a couple of problems coming up. Need your advice on that..
Off late am seeing that the lights that illuminates the A/C or fan controls (just below the CD/radio section) of the car is acting weird. It switches on or off whenever it wants. Looks like we have a loose connection there or something like that. The dealer is gonna cost me a lot(am thinking at least 50 bucks). Is there a way I can do it myself. Is there someone else who has faced similar problems in the past.
Will appreciate any help

Thanks

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well if you want to try and replace the light yourself, it's not that hard. I don't know the specifics off the top of my head but the light is in the middle knob, if you get a small piece of cloth (wash cloth) and a needle nose plyers, you can take the knob off. then take a small piece of tubbing to get the light out. then to put the new one back in, you just slip it into the tubbing and press it in there. I'll see if i can find the web page that i used when i replaced mine.
Oh and WELCOME!!
jon

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Your bulb is most likely on the way out. Removal is pretty straightforward, though not many people know how to do it. Here's what to do:

1. Take a pair of channel-lock type pliers, and wrap the jaws in a rag. Use the pliers to grip the fan control knob and pull out.
2. Using a small piece of vacuum hose, work the vac hose around the tiny bulb inside, and pull out.
3. Replace the bulb.

I wish I could tell you the bulb number, but they just hand me the part at work...I wish I could look it up in the European ETKA I have, but all the cars over there seem to have Climatronic and nothing else...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys.. First off I dont know how this post came in this MK4 section allthough I posted it in General discussion forum. That being said... the 3 questions that arise are:
1. Can there be any other reason for this flickering (on or off i shud say) like some fuse or something?
2. If its the bulb, then where can I find that bulb and what r the specifications?
3. You guys suggested that I shud take out the fan knob and then replace the bulb. Is that the central place for all the knobs in that row. I mean there are 3 knobs in the same row. Do they have a bulb in the central location underneath the fab knob?

Thanks for all the help.. am glad I came into the right forum.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
That's correct. The bulb is located centrally, and it is the only bulb for the entire climate control panel.

To purchase the bulb, head to your local VW dealer and tell them you need a bulb for the climate controls for your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts