VW Forum banner

2001 Jetta VR6 dying when I come to stop

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ninja Please 
#1 ·
My 2001 Jetta VR6 is dying when I come to a stop. Not all the time, but every 5 days or so. I try to restart but nothing works, not my hazard lights or anything, and not even a ''click click click'' like when it's a dead battery; eventually it does start up after 5 or more tries. The battery and alternator are fine. I took it to the shop & they replaced the mass airflow sensor, cleaned the throttle, and cleared my CEL codes, but it's still dying and the CEL came on again with these error codes:

16518/P0134 Oxygen Sensor No Activity;
16519/P0135 Oxygen Sensor Heating Circuit Malfunction;
17511/P1103 Oxygen Sensor Heating; Performance too Low;
16795/P0411 Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected

They checked for loose wiring and connectors but can't identify the problem. So they just gave it back to me unfixed!

My idle is also a little rough/shakey, and it's slower than usual when I try to accelerate in 1st & 2nd, sometimes shuddering.

Has anyone had this same problem? Help???

See less See more
#2 ·
16518/P0134 Oxygen Sensor No Activity;
16519/P0135 Oxygen Sensor Heating Circuit Malfunction;
17511/P1103 Oxygen Sensor Heating; Performance too Low;
Im gonna go out on a limb and say check voltage at O2 sensor and if it is good, change your O2 sensor.

16795/P0411 Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
This code is caused by one of about 5 things -none of which impact anything other than the environment and your ability to get a tag. It would not be related to the problems you are experiencing. It is a system that operates for 65 seconds at start up for emissions mitigation.

Possible causes of P0411 code:

1)Bad Secondary Air Pump $$$$
2)Bad Air Solenoid Valve (Shut Off Valve) $$
3)Bad Diverter Valve $
4)Bad Air pump hoses $
5)Pinched Air pump Hose $

#3 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply. Just to clarify -- you think the O2 sensor is/could be what's causing the electrical system to shut down as I'm coming to a stop?

The mechanic at the shop seemed to think it was unrelated, but obviously there's some problem with it from all the error codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.