VW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running around the other evening and driving non-aggressively and all of a sudden the front right started to make a metal clunking sound. First thought was axle or cv joints. I was able to pull of road and looked under the front end, I see nothing out of ordinary. I have never had to replace an axle etc... this is an area I am unfamiliar with. The noise it was making was load enough that I thought I would see something obvious. My wife looked as I pulled forward/backward and nothing except the sound mentioned above when in gear. I just put the car on ramps to get a closer look and nothing out of ordinary but I really don't know what to look for. Where do I start, any thoughts helpful.
Thanks - David

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,448 Posts
Start grabbing and wiggling stuff....grab the axle and see if it's sloppy. Check the wheel bearings for play. Check the control arm bushings and pretty much every other suspension component for play or wear. If you have never replaced any of that stuff and are near 80,000 miles. It needs done anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would just take it by a transmission shop and have them listen to it. Mine makes a little bit of noise from the transmission and I am pretty sure it is either an input shaft bearing or throwout bearing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It is a little more than noise up front. When it happened there was a pop then the noise only when in gear. Haven't driven anywhere since then except in driveway not sure if it would make it to a shop. Although the shaft bearing or throwout bearing sounds a lot better than the transmission.

Is there an way to figure out if it is the throwout or shaft bearing without going to a shop?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is a little more than noise up front. When it happened there was a pop then the noise only when in gear. Haven't driven anywhere since then except in driveway not sure if it would make it to a shop. Although the shaft bearing or throwout bearing sounds a lot better than the transmission.

Is there an way to figure out if it is the throwout or shaft bearing without going to a shop?
If it is more pronounced when you are turning, then the spider gears in the differential would be a more likely culprit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A good way to figure out if it is one of the bearings involved with the transmission and clutch is to start the car and listen for any changes in noises. Press the clutch in and see if there is a change from when it was out. If the noise is only present when actually drviving, then you have a rotational problem. I would figure out for sure when it makes the noise (ie. sitting still, when rolling in neutral and transmission disengaged, when rolling and transmission engaged, and when turning left or right.). Figuring out which scenario causes the noise will help pinpoint exactly what is causing it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Forgot to add to just look on youtube for videos of bad throwout bearings and input shaft bearings to see if yours is making one of those two noises. If it was your axle, then it would potentially make more of a clicking noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Neutral no noise, clutch depressed no noise, clutch depressed in 1st gear or reverse and let clutch out and now there is noise. No more intensity whether in 1st or reverse with wheel turned or straight.

I listened to a lot of clutch noises on youtube and none sounded like mine although there was the same symptoms as mine (2001 Jetta VR6) only when clutch engaged. This individual was able to lift the front end. Maybe I will try that next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.