VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is cranking but it just won't seem to fire up. My Dad and I worked our way through the engine trying to find a basic cause, these are some of the things we checked.

It was getting a spark.
Timing Belts were okay (don't think they skipped any teeth)
Fuel was exiting the fuel filter, didn't know how to check in engine comp.
Battery has enough juice.
Looked through the fuses inside cabin.

There was one attempt at starting where it seemed like it was going to fire up but didn't.

Anyone have any insight or personal experience with what I am describing? I am not familiar with this car and there are probably a ton of different electronic modules or sensors that could be causing this. I liked the situation much better when I thought it was the starter; sounds like it's cranking plenty, though.

I haven't looked into a code reader, would it be on any use in this situation?

I just don't have a clue and appreciate any thoughts...and I mean ANY.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found Solution.

Turns out that the problem was too much fuel fouling up the spark plug. The car had been started, driven into the garage from driveway and turned off. Apparently it's pretty common for this to happen if the engine is only running for a short period of time and I was lucky that my Dad ran across this fix.

If this happens to you, pull the fuse for the fuel pump (left most row, 3rd fuse from bottom). Now push gas pedal to floor and crank engine about 20 seconds. Let the starter rest and put fuse back into fuse box.

Now crank engine again with pedal to floor. Don't let off the key until the car hits 1000 rpm and rev it up to 2 or 3000 rpm for a few minutes. Much smoke will likely fill the garage, so ventilation is highly recommended.

You might need to charge the battery at some point or jump from another car depending on how many times you've tried starting your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not while cranking. The engine didn't rev up until after I got it above 1000rpm and it was able to stay running without assist from the starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts