VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I own a VW 2001 Pissat 4 Cyl.1.8T. Not a mechanic. My local trusted auto repair shop stated they were hesitant to work on my car for lack of an on-site experienced VW mechanic. They also estimated they would end up charging me over $2000.00 to pass my emission test. I knew I needed to take matters into my own hands. I initially read 7 emission error codes. Cleared all codes replacing plugs/coil packs, MAF Sensor, MAF wire harness, several valves, upstream/downstream oxygen sensors, PVC sensors, crank case elbow hose, dozen misc. hoses, and 2 dozen clamps...most painful!!! Passed emission after little over $400 in parts ordered on-line.

After passing emission, and returning back home...engine light came on...again!! I need a experienced mechanic/owner to identify 2 remaining parts (connected to my intake canister identified as "A" and "B" in photo) that I did NOT replace (see attachment). These parts/hoses may/may not be related to my recent code(s) not yet identified.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A looks like a check valve. That allows air to only flow in one direction noted by the the arrow stamped on it. You can remove and test it by blowing through it. If any amount of air goes through it in the wrong direction, replace it. There is probably close to a dozen of them throughout the engine that may need replacing. B looks like a purge valve solenoid. If it was bad you would get a code for it. You did not say how many miles or what codes you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts