VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hope that someone can answer this question.
I bought my son this car from a private party. Seller said it had new water pump, timing belt and head gasket. I live in Pa and need emissions inspection. Not only did it not pass, the mechanic said for thousands of dollars he still couldnt fix it. Of course the seller has disappeared. My friend took one look at the list of codes and said he could tackle it. About 600.00 more dollars in parts, and we realized that the seller cut the 2nd o2 sensor off of the catalytic converter. The new is in but with a missing manifold stud. As long as its drivable I can get it to the muffler shop to secure the cat.
Heres where my 2 nd round of heartbreak comes in....
When I started the buggy to take it to the muffler shop, massive steam was coming from under the hood. The red temp light came on and began to beep. I turned the engine off and let it sit. A neighbor came down to discover the antifreeze reservoir is bone dry. Thinking a leak, he put water to see where the leak was coming from. No leak found but again, the steam. This time he was under the hood and could see that the steam is coming from back behind the reservoir tank... more towards the back of the engine compartment. When he added the water, the idle came down to whwre its supposed to be and all seemed ok. Then about 3 mins into the idle, the steam. No puddles under car, no sprayed antifreeze or water in the engine compartment, and the water remains in the reservoir. Any ideas?? Ive searched the internet and cant find a thing on this issue. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it is a 1.8t check the aux coolant feed from the aux pump on the radiator core support runs directly to the turbo charger. I’ve had the same issue early on in my VW career, good luck keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts