VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for some input on suspension for a Golf TDI from 2002. I drive on rough roads, lots of pot holes and dirt roads. What are some good options for this kind of driving? I was looking at Monroe strut/spring combo for the front and Monroe OEM spectrum shocks for the rear with moog springs. Any suggestions or rally style options people have tried?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Solid rear, it will always screw you because the rear wheels nearly can not function independently.

I would put on some tougher more comfortable tires like some Michelin defenders, get a road hazard warranty from the shop you buy them at and then run them at just slightly under normal psi (like 25) and replace the shocks only. Not much point to replace the rear springs at all. Front spring will be your choice, not much point but it might be cost effective in labor if you get something like a quick strut which is already assembled. Gauge your options.

For a strut I would go with oem spec from napa unless you can find an even softer strut/shock for the car. Make sure to get new front strut bushings and bearings.

That should do it, I'm guessing you're looking for more comfort out of the car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
suspension

Im not sure how much help there is for the tdi, but i found one site in europe. that says it does rally stuff. the vw is a common rally car in the usa too. so i am sure someone has stuff out there. proflex suspension in britain.

also, vw tdi forum has some stuff it sounds like, for vw tdi rally car

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
tdi has the same suspension as any other mk4 apart from spring rates from motor weight difference and ride height lowering on special models.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
lol just incase he wanted to go lower and treat himself to a sportier ride if he decides to rally around the potholes with the stiffer suspension instead of going through them :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha, the pothole are everywhere. The suspension on the car is just shot though. It crashes down when you hit anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2002 Golf TDI needs a new suspension. I was looking at the Monroe quick strut assembly for the front and the Monroe OE Spectrum shock for the back. I worry about the ride quality. I don't want my Golf to ride like a Toyota...no offense to Toyota drivers. What do people recommend. I don't want to spend a fortune and the Monroe seems to be decent quality for mid range cost. That said I'm looking for something that will be the right firmness for the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure I can justify spending the money on Bilstein or Koni. The car is 12 years old, still a good car but I'll likely upgrade in 1-3 years. I was hoping other may have tried the OESpectrum from Monroe. Ive seen lots of reviews for other cars but not for VW. The KYB sound pretty good for the price as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts