VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all; does anyone know if there's an adaptor for the 2002 double DIN CD player? I want to replace my stereo but hate paying $50 for an installation if I could do it myself w/ and adaptor...instead it has to be hardwired.
Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unfortunately as I found out the hard way, as of right now there is no wiring harness for the double-DIN stereo. You have to cut the factory plug, identify the wires by function and splice them into the aftermarket wires.

If you have the Monsoon system, that may complicate matters as you may need to bypass the amplifier in the trunk. Most aftermarket stereos have a built-in amp, so sending that signal to be amplified again may cause distortion once it reaches the speakers.

It took me about 3 hours total to rewire everything and it sounds great. I decided to leave the stock speakers and add an external amplifier and subs in the trunk since my radio has preamp outputs.

So now I have a cassette receiver in the dash and a 10-disc changer in the trunk
Don't get me wrong, the original stereo sounds great. It's just that changing CDs is a pain when you're driving stick. But if that's not an issue for you, I would just leave the factory radio as it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts