VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this incredible noise coming from the right front axle comp. sounds weird because the noise comes and goes and when turning left it is heard more solid. i was wondering if any one had this problem i have 20,000 miles and i did put H&R sport springs at about 2000 miles
when the noise first started i brought it to the dealer(foulty coil #1)so while i was there they told they could not hear it but now it is so looud its impossible not to hear it. i put the car on a lift and put it on first gear (wheels of the ground) and u could hear it in the car even more. when you put your hand on the spring it self as the wheels are spinning you feel it threw the spring. i really haven't taking anything apart (no time). thank you .. "

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I had this same sound while turning left yesterday, but not today. I figured it was the power steering pump b/c it was so cold. If you find out anything, let me know so I can tell my dealer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mine does something similar, it ussually happens when i turn onto a new street and take the corner a bit too fast it kind of sounds like a dull low grinding noise, almost like when the ABS comes on
In fact i think it IS the ABS coming on for just that side of the car since the inside wheel spins faster than the outside, i think the ASR and ABS function together to try to slow that wheel down, it doesnt seem to happen if i turn the ASR off. i dont think it would be the bearing since that would affect the way the wheel spins and feels when you have it on the lift. let us know if you find anything out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fstgti:
mine does something similar, it ussually happens when i turn onto a new street and take the corner a bit too fast it kind of sounds like a dull low grinding noise, almost like when the ABS comes on
In fact i think it IS the ABS coming on for just that side of the car since the inside wheel spins faster than the outside, i think the ASR and ABS function together to try to slow that wheel down, it doesnt seem to happen if i turn the ASR off. i dont think it would be the bearing since that would affect the way the wheel spins and feels when you have it on the lift. let us know if you find anything out!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i understand that but the asr was off or else yes you are right it would make the abs come on but being thats in the air gives it more of a chance for being a wheel bearing or an axle..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep it was the wheel bearing after all
what a pain in the ass it was to replace.
if you dont have the vw tool for the bearing also they put so much lock tite on the axle i had to come up with a home build clamp to remove it ... but the noise and shaking are all gone.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts