VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to VW's, just purchased a 2003 2L Golf with 138k on it. I'd like to get someone's opinion on what just happened while driving it.
We bought it 2 days ago. Drove it home from Kentucky back to central Indiana. Drove great. No problems whatsoever! Let it sit for a couple hours, got in it to go get something at the store, and the check engine light is illuminated. It is NOT blinking, but on solidly. We took it to get the codes read and they came back with these: P0352 and P0420. So we were in the process of trying to figure out exactly what might be wrong. I get in it to go to an appointment today and on the way home, the battery light pops on and the car looses power. I pull off to the side of the road, let it sit for a second and then start her back up and I was able to drive home. The list of repairs that were just completed on the car in April of 2013 are:
New Serpentine Belt
New Water Pump
New Timing Belt
New Camshaft Seal/Crankshaft Oil Seal
Coolant Flush
New Thermostat

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated and I thank all you in advance!
TracyB
:confused:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
P0352 check the plugs and wires on the car, as well as the coil pack.

P0420 is a 02 sensor have them replaced, i think its the one before the cat under the car. did this code say bank 1 or bank 2? bank 1 is the one in the manifold, and bank 2 is the one before the cat under the car. normally.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Could also be a bad cat. I had that code on my 2.0 Beetle and it was definitely just the cat.

I would get the alternator and battery tested at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
517 Posts
P0352 check the plugs and wires on the car, as well as the coil pack.

P0420 is a 02 sensor have them replaced, i think its the one before the cat under the car. did this code say bank 1 or bank 2? bank 1 is the one in the manifold, and bank 2 is the one before the cat under the car. normally.
P0420 is not specific to the oxygen sensor(s). It's a catalyst effeciency code. Looks like you need to replace the catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Depends on the failure. Mine fell apart internally. I had no odors. I also didn't really lose any fuel mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts