VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so recently my car wouldn't start, it ran great one day and the next day I came out and it wouldn't start... so I check and I have fuel but no spark. I notice when I crank it over the rpm gauge doesn't move when the car is cranking so I replace the engine speed sensor, still no start. weird thing is when I take out the 409 relay, from what I understand that's the fuel pump relay, obviously I get no fuel but it start to spark just fine like it should. when the relay is in I get no spark. does anyone have any idea why this could be?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Scan the car with vag-com.
Could be the cam position sensor.
Can you hear the fuel pump run at all?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can hear the fuel pump prime, I do not own vag com but I can purchase it.. what is a good site to buy it from? also wouldn't a cam sensor just cause it to run rough and sluggish?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also the ecm wiring relay, under the hood, I took a DMM to it and it had 157 ohms and every other relay is only 50-70 ohms. do you think excessive resistance in that relay could be the problem?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Buy a cheap blue vagcom cable off eBay for like $15 then download the vcds lite for free from Ross-tech.com

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
im leaning towards the crankshaft position sensor.. only because my car was behaving similar after i swapped motors..

BUT.. your codes will def help us here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced my motor and it did the same thing. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and haven't had a problem since then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
also the ecm wiring relay, under the hood, I took a DMM to it and it had 157 ohms and every other relay is only 50-70 ohms. do you think excessive resistance in that relay could be the problem?
Higher coil resistance is better, it puts less load on the circuit that drives the relay coil.

I = E/R so 12.8v/157 = 82 mA.
A horn relay coil may pull 1A and the starter solenoid coil may pull a few dozen amps.

Keep your measurements, you may need them someday and these specs are very hard to get.

Sometimes there's a diode across the relay coil and so it's good practice to exchange the ohmmeter leads and take a second measurement. The higher one is the coil resistance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay so the firt set of codes I got were nothing really just a boost solenoid and some low voltage codes but the previous owner had put the wrong alternator on so I changed that.so I cleared the codes and went and had my battery charged and thrn I came back home and wallah it started right up drove it for a bit no problems and came back out to see if it would start again and nothing. I scanned the codes gain and I got this..

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 02 December 2013, 18:37:11.

Chassis Type: 1G - VW Golf/Jetta II
Scan: 01,02,03

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-AWP.LBL
Controller: 06A 906 032 HS
Component: 1.8L 93OCTA G 0007
Coding: 07510
Shop #: WSC 13623
VCID: 769F65DB41DF
9BWKE61J834058767 VWZ7Z0C6710375
3 Faults Found:
16622 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too High
P0238 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17956 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1548 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
16946 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0562 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0100 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ASR.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 K
Component: ASR FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0021505
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 321799CBED37
10 Faults Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
65535 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
012 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

idk if an abs fault would cause the car not to start would it? my abs and trac control light will come on while driving and kind of slugs the car a bit this has happened for awhile but I figured it was the alternator or possibly a ground but all grounds seemed fine.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts

This gives me some suspicion of the MAP sensor. Manifold absolute pressure sensor. Check the wire and connections to it, it is located before the intake manifold. On the stock FMIC I think it bolts right onto it or very close by. They are about 60$ if you need to buy a new one.
I would imagine if it's sending signal of way too much boost it will cut the power (TCS light will come on and try to kill the turbo to save the motor from blowing)
I'm not sure it could actually stop the motor from starting but who knows.

Try checking that area out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

This gives me some suspicion of the MAP sensor. Manifold absolute pressure sensor. Check the wire and connections to it, it is located before the intake manifold. On the stock FMIC I think it bolts right onto it or very close by. They are about 60$ if you need to buy a new one.
I would imagine if it's sending signal of way too much boost it will cut the power (TCS light will come on and try to kill the turbo to save the motor from blowing)
I'm not sure it could actually stop the motor from starting but who knows.

Try checking that area out.

I have an apt turbo setup on this car and boost is controlled by an eboost2 boost controller/gauge. I believe the ecu has been tuned and is already compensating for not using the boost solenoid but I'm not 100% sure about that. I bought it with these parts on it, never had problems like this before.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I doubt the ecu would function without some serious reprogramming without the MAP sensor. Even big turbo guys use them. It doesn't really make sense not to use them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the map sensor is on there and is hooked up, how any pin outputs is the connector from the harness suppose to have? I see only 3. shouldn't there be 4?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts