VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTI VR6 check engine coolant light went off last night. So I stopped the car at a gas station nearby to add coolant to the engine because the car was overheating and smoking. After adding the coolant, I tried to start my car but the battery died. Also the coolant was leaking out the bottom. So I had to tow my car. After replacing the battery, my engine would not start. Anybody know what could be wrong? I do not want to take it to a mechanic quite yet because it will cost me an arm and a leg for them to take apart the engine to see whats wrong with it. Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
well first of all u should take better care of ur car and be checking fluids regularly. u should replace the hose or whatever was leaking the antifreeze... how many miles are on ur car? and if over 100 did u replace the waterpump? and was the engine even trying to turn over we need more details. and next time be more careful u could have warped ur engine block and shit unless u havent already...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
yeah that is what im guessing... it wasnt leaking it broke and poured all the liquid out while he was driving to the gas station or getting to the gas station anyways so yeah pretty positive thats what happened

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the car for $6500 used back in August 2010 with 110,000 miles on it already.The private dealership that sold it to me had no warranty for the car. The car was in really good shape and I had no problems with it up until a couple days ago. I brought it to a friend whos a mechanic and they said it was not the water pump. After swapping the old battery with the new, the engine would not start up because it no longer has compression. My friend said that if it overheated and warped the engine block that it would be best to do an engine swap instead of having to take apart the engine and rebuild it. Do you know if it's worth swapping or to take apart and rebuild the engine? If I swap the engine, does anyone know of a salvage yard, place that has rebuilt engines, or website for volkswagens? I live in Arizona if anyones familiar with a place within the state. Shipping is not a problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
You more then likely warped the head not the block. It's easy to check once the head is off....use a straight edge and a feeler guage. It might just be the head only. It can be machined flat at a machine shop, then install a thicker then stock head gasket to compensate for the metel they shaved off.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sounds like you blew the head gasket from a failed water pump or leaky oil cooler, radiator, or hose/union -not likely the heater core or expansion tank.

But the The block is fine.

Have you got shit in your oil?

A Vr6 motor is worth rebuilding.

-if it was a 2.0 well..........

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
vw blocks are bullet proof so yeah square one of ever owning a car maintenance. every fill up check fluids... oil change ever 3000 that kinda stuff could have saved u a lot of $$

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My friend is going to take apart the engine in the next couple of days..hopefully its just the headgasket and nothing else. Ill write back when i find out whats wrong with it! And yes maintenance is everything! Only drove the car 2000 miles...previous owner must of really not paid attention to the cars maintenance! Thanks for your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8turbooo
Maintenance is everything.
I won't repeat my self, but I will quote myself. That's shitty.
thanks for your continual input, it's been very helpful.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yeah Boi!!! u better be loving that car when it gets fixed it deserves it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts