VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone brand new to the forums hopefully someone here will tell me whats going on with my car. I recently bought a 2003 gti vr6 with some mod cold air, magnaflow cat back, coil overs. Overall pretty satisfied with the performance of the car but the guy i bought from decided to lie about having problems with it. the problem i am having now is the car alarm will go off every 20 mins or so maybe even longer if i drove it around for like 10 minutes. ive looked up some threads on different gti and vw forums and they all pointed to a dead battery. well after reading those i went outside to my car and come to find out my battery was in fact completely dead. so today i went out and bought a brand new battery hooked it up car started right up no problems. came inside thinkin solved the promblem but 20 mins later the alarm insisted to continue to go off????? im thinking now maybe theres a shortage in a ground wire somewhere? or maybe a shortage somewhere all together?? also now that the new battery is installed the check engine light and the epc light are on??

idk if this will help with any answers but before the new battery while driving the radio would cut off for a spilt second and the headlights would dim for a second but im just guessing it was because the battery was drained and going dead...

sorry so long treied to get as much information in this thread so hopefully someone here could help me out with the best answer possible thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Might want to get your alternator checked - Autozone will check it for free I think. You can also check the ground strap to the alternator is tight. Check also the connection in the fuse box is tight where the + cable comes in from the alternator and there's no overheating there. Don't know where the alarm stuff figures in but that might be a separate issue like door microswitches or something. I would check the alternator first and have the comfort of at least knowing it's good.
While you're at Autozone (or wherever) if the engine light is still on then get the codes for free and post back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts