VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a son in college currently driving a well used beat up rusty 97 jetta that will not die,180k + very hard miles and unsafe ( rust).
He wants to buy a 2004 Passat from a adult couple with 160k that looks to be in very good condition. Is there anything he should be aware of or to look for? It is a 1.8T auto. Not sure what the asking price is because he doesn't want any help from his Mom and I with money to buy it. I'm OK with that :D. Just trying to help with information. Thanks in advance. CRAB

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Do not buy a passat. Horrible cars. They are built with leftover and out of spec parts. Every passat I have come in contact with was junk. Plus with that mileage who knows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not buy a passat. Horrible cars. They are built with leftover and out of spec parts. Every passat I have come in contact with was junk. Plus with that mileage who knows.
I'm not a fan of the Passat either. Is there some things that are specific that they have problems with as far as being dependable or not? Both our sons have had Jettas and have been very good college cars.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
i havent heard any good about passats. I would stay away from automatics. their transmissions are slush boxes.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Poor build quality.

Electrical problems, timing and motor problems. Parts wear out really quickly on the car. Expensive to replace.
The cars basically financially total themselves in a hurry.

Look at craigslist, it's completely littered with blown motor/busted head passats for pennies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. As much as I agree with everyone here, it looks like he is going to buy it anyway. The car really looks very good, I hope this car is better than most. He is paying $1500.00 for the Passat , doesn't seem too bad.
I hope :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts