VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there's any data compliled on cam/lifter failures in the 2005-2006 BRM PDs? My Jetta lost #3 lifter and damged cam--maybe the head. VW dealer wants to charge $4,500 to R&R the head assembly and get it back on the road. Car just turned over 65K...and been serviced by the book. They tell me this is something they have "never seen before." And VW will not cover the repairs....
Sick in Tuscaloosa

·
Registered
255 Posts
Service by the book = premature engine and automatic transaxle death. Remember VWs idea of a vehicle lifetime is very different from yours and mine. The oil needed to be changed every 5,000 miles with thier reccomended synthetic oil and a Mann or Vw oil filter. For the automatic transaxle draining and refilling the fluid every 15,000 miles keeps the mechanical parts like new. Cam and lifter failure is from broken down oil. A google search will reveal it is a common problem. Nothing can be done to prevent the steady stream of electircal failures so common to 1993 and up VWs. $4500 is pretty steep to patch up an oil starved engine.Find a good independent VW shop to determine if a new cam,lifters and oil pump will solve your troubles. Should be a lot cheaper than the dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts