VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got married to a woman with a VW... now having a problem with radiator.

The only radiator fan runs continuously (on turbo speed) anytime the key is in the ON position. There is only ONE fan in this vehicle. The engine does not overheat. Fan does NOT run when the key is NOT in the ignition. I can't tell if the fan runs at low speeds or turns on with the A/C because it is always running super fast turbo noisy speed.

VW dealer said it would cost $1500 to replace the fan and the fan controller. (parts are ~$700).

I've read many threads about "MacGyver" rigging some new resistors... or replacing thermal switches. I took the car to autozone and their scanner said the problem was the fan controller module... said I should replace the fan controller relay for $117 (but the part isn't available... can't even order it through autozone).

My wife is ready to pay the dealer $$$$$ to fix it. I'm trying to avoid that huge bill.

My best guess is that there is a temperature sensor that's bad, resulting in the computer thinking the fan needs to run turbo speed. All other threads I've found on this issue are for older VWs... seems like the coolant relays have been removed since 2003/4.

Any help or troubleshooting advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
322 Posts
What code did the scanner show? (The actual code number, not just the description)

Also, Autozone may not have the parts, but I bet other online sellers do, ones that will have better quality parts as well. Try over at germanautoparts.com, ecstuning.com, 1stvwparts.com, autohausaz.com for starters.

You also might want to check over at newbeetle.org. Great forum for all things New Beetle. I never knew the 2.5 only had one fan. There is a troubleshooting guide for the fans over there too, but not sure if will apply to the 2.5 or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the actual code unfortunately. We decided to bring the car to a local shop instead of the dealer... I should find out tomorrow what they say the problem is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts