VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site so I apologize if someone has already asked this question or voiced their concerns about the same issue.

I live in Alberta and with that comes winter. My problem... I CANNOT keep the windshield or side windows clear of frost. I'll have the blower on high, the temp is maxed out at 26, the car is warmed up, yet the windows frost up to the point where I've had to pull over as I can't see. As I said, the blower works, the air is hot, yet frosty windows. And it doesn't matter if the outside temp is -5C or -35C

I like the car, but that being said, I find it a safety issue and will have to pawn it off on someone else if I can't resolve the problem. I should state that I've owned a 1992 Honda Accord and 2002 Honda Accord previously and not a problem with either. In fact the windows in the back doors were even clear.

HELP! Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check the defrost strips on the back window..maybe the computer that charges them,isn't working right, therefore, your not getting enough electricity through them to defrost.

Bring it to a dealer, ask them to check it out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but it's the windshield and side windows I have problems with. Despite the fact the car sits in a garage (unheated), it seems to take a long time to warm up; maybe that's the problem. I do have an appt with a dealership next week, but was wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem.

·
Registered
368 Posts
sorry...

check vents, make sure there not clogged...are you getting really hot, or warm air coming from the vents ? Could possibly be your heater core...POSSIBLY

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
it is a common problem with the mk5's. my 08 jetta does the same thing. garage kept and the windows fog up all the time. have you ever left your windows open once when it rained? that could be the cause also. alot of people with mk5's complain about it. really no known fix for it either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears the only solution will be to get rid of the car. However, the bigger issue is if VW is manufacturing cars that aren't safe to drive, then someone should be telling them (like they would possibly care). I guess I'll have to just continue to warn people about them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took the car to the VW dealership and they told me there's a door that opens and closes depending on whether you want outside air or to recycle the air inside; and it was broken in the closed position. So despite the dashboard telling me it was drawing outside air, in fact, it was recycling internal air.

I haven't gotten the car back yet as the dealership had to order the part so I cannot confirm whether or not it's fixed the problem, but thought I would share this information anyway. I'll post another when I get the car back on Monday and have had a chance to verify.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dealership should take care of you...but be careful on the price

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya, let us know if they are able to fix the problem. That would be a bummer if you need to give it up over that. I had similar problems (in tha past) with other cars but I am lucky with my bug. Let us know and good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it appears my problem has been resolved. Although we the temperature hasn't hit the minus 30C range since I got my car fixed, it has been cold enough to warrant using the defrost....seems to be working a lot better than before. And there is definitely a different sound when circulating inside air versus pulling in outside air; I can hear the change in fan speed.

So while I'm cautiously optimistic the problem has been resolved, the true test will be when we hit the minus 30C temps again. I will update again at that time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the temps have been in the -20C to -28C range and not a single problem with defrost; looks like it was the door after all. If you're problem is similar, then I'd certainly have the dealership look into it for you. Just because the dash light says it's open/closed, it doesn't mean that it is.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AB Canuck should be thanked, and I do, for his post!!!! I have a 2007 2.5. Bought it new 3/2007 after having a 2002 that had issues. This car has been rock solid in performance and never had an issue. Yes, I have replaced the brakes. That is another issue. In November, I was at 38,900. I never had an issue with the windows fogging. I garage park and rarely use my sunroof. It got very cold and wet in Ky and has been going on since then. I would leave my garage at 40-50 degrees and move into 20 degree weather. By the time I was 6-7 miles away, the back windows were frosted and the sides were 80%. I thought it was the extremes in temps. But it had not happened before. I went in for my 40K service and while pulling in I showed the VW reps my frosted car. They assumed I had water in the car (i knew I did not). They searched the car during the service and said there was no water in the car and the seals were all good. That made me feel better since the assumption was that I drove around in rain with all windows open. They suggested I crack my window in the garage. Tried that and the same issue happened.

I finally Google searched and found AB Canuck's post. Wow..it's just not me! I called my service tech, and told him. My service tech at VW in Lexington is great. He has been there for many years and has helped me. Sure enough, they doubted when I pulled in, but I had the thread from AB Canuck in hand. 4 hours later, he called and said it was the recirculation door motor that had gone bad! Validation of AB Canuck and my own sanity! Makes me think they knew of the issue, but the honesty of my rep suggested otherwise. They had to order the new part. I am going to forward this to VW. Dealer will give me a survey and the survey asks if you want to be contacted from VW. I will select yes and wait. Once I get the call, I will ask why my safety was in question for 3 months for a know issue that they, VW, should have had an advisory on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you were able to get your issue resolved, jbvwinky. I can't take credit for resolving the problem as the technicians at Fifth Avenue Auto Haus were the ones who found it. I'm glad my posting the problem and solution helped someone else.

I haven't had any issues and temperatures have been -30C the past week.

Now, onto finding out why my brakes are squeeking at a certain pressure point and not continuously. Still more than 50% on the pads. Could be the -30C temps., so will wait until it warms up to see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well it appears my problem has been resolved. Although we the temperature hasn't hit the minus 30C range since I got my car fixed, it has been cold enough to warrant using the defrost....seems to be working a lot better than before. And there is definitely a different sound when circulating inside air versus pulling in outside air; I can hear the change in fan speed.

So while I'm cautiously optimistic the problem has been resolved, the true test will be when we hit the minus 30C temps again. I will update again at that time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, can you tell me exactly what was fixed? Air recirc? My car fogs up fiercely and opening the windows while driving solves issue, so it makes sense if recirculating is not bringing in fresh air. Don't want to spend big $$ to fix. Blower works, AC works, heater works... super cold -40℃ this week in AB!!! Thank you for your input!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts