VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the complete story. The car stalled twice in a months span, with the red exclamation mark and red battery icon on the dashboard. The second time it happened couple of days ago. The following day, the solid amber Check Engine Light and the EPC light came up, after the shutdown / stalling incident.

Took the car to the dealership. They found TWO faults : (1) The onboard computer needs upgrade (2) Crank Shaft sensor gone bad.

They said they tried to do (1), but could not, and their system responded that upgrade was not required. They replaced the (2) sensor, and the Check Engine Light and EPC light was gone. They also did a tuneup check for all the components (brakes, fluid level, etc).

When it shutdown happened twice before, the inside of the car all goes dark, and nothing works including the brakes until the car halts to a rolling stop after the momentum goes away.

The car is drive since then (3 days ago) without any issues. I am very concerned as the shutdown paralyses everything, and dont know if it will happen again (hope not).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, the car is shutting off while driving? That's terrifying since you'll lose power steering and power brakes...hopefully what they did will stop it from happening again.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the inside of the car all goes dark, and nothing works including the brakes until the car halts to a rolling stop after the momentum goes away.
Not true about the brakes not working. If the engine shuts off, you still have the ability to stop the car by pressing on the brake pedal. I tried this in my 2009 Jetta yesterday, and I was able to press the brake pedal 3 times before i lost power assist. Without power assist, it just takes more effort to press the brake pedal.

As far as the car shutting off, since you did get a fault code for the crankshaft position sensor, and it was replaced, lets hope the problem is resolved.

A faulty crankshaft position sensor will cause the engine to shut off. Usually happens when the sensor is affected by engine heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Recommendation

Hi,
Here is what I do with my GTI 2008 185,000 miles 6 speed manual
(intake manifold replaced 4 times, throttle pedal, battery & A/C intercooler- all 3 failed within 3 days time recently). foot pedal replaced but i suspect a calibration must be done by the OEM, puncture in condenser replaced, and new battery installed
I bought an OBD reader , top of the line and left a 10mm wrench close to the battery box, secured into the fuse box. When the car goes in fail mode, with throttle not responding correctly and limping below 2500 RPM, I pull over, read the code, reset & disconnect the Ground terminal from the battery. wait 5 to 10 minutes for all parameters to clear, reinstall the ground, read code and clear again. By then. the engine is back to normal and you can drive home. Should work with EPC errors providing you dont have a serious meltdown. Still worth a try to clear it all and check. Beats being strainded on the side of the road!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts