VW Forum banner

2009 CC with P0341 Code...

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Soupysailor 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 2009 CC Luxury for $1500. The lady sold it because a couple of weeks ago when she went to start it up, the car took a while to start, then when it did start, the check engine light was on and it idled badly. She took it to her mechanic and without much investigating told her it was the timing chain, so she sold it to me.

I drove it 50 miles home on the interstate. Ran fine, but when I accelerated quickly, the Check Engine light would flash and it would struggle to accelerate. Once home, I ran the codes: P0341, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304. Knowing I was able to drive it home, with little negative effects, I assumed the P0341 was simply the Cam Shaft Position Sensor and replaced it... No change: still struggled to start, then it idled unsteadily. There were little flashes in the lights corresponding with the idle issues.

I checked the wire for the CSP sensor with the multimeter and it showed 4.9V. I know it is supposed to be 5V, so I do not know if being off that little bit could affect things.

I then checked the spark plugs and saw they were off-brand and worn, so I replaced them with the NGK Platinums and restarted the car. Still struggled to start, and idled a little off. This time the only misfire code was P0304, so I decided to switch the 4th coil with the 3rd to see if the misfire followed. As I did this, I realized a previous mechanic had struggled with the coil harness connectors and some were damaged and not locking together. (I plan to replace the harness next, rockauto does NOT have it and I do not see it show up on auto store sites, just found it on a european auto site.) I duct taped the connections on the harness to the coils, just to be certain they stayed locked.

Once I hooked it back up, it still struggled to start and the battery did not have enough to start. So, I jumped it and the lights were still on for a second, but the check engine light left and I was able to drive the car smoothly for 20-30 minutes around country roads recharging the battery. It drove great! No engine light, no limp mode, no hesitation. Got home, turned off the car, ate dinner. I then decided to see if the battery had enough time to recharge itself and it had not, car needed another jump. Still like everytime, it was hard to start, barely turning over, but finally did start... This time, the check engine light came back on, idled rough, and when I ran the code, P0341 was back, but no others.

Any advice on what I am missing or not considering? I do not think it had the timing belt tensioner replaced, so I could do that, but would like to know if that is the issue. Is my battery dying and that is the problem? Do I have a short in the CSP sensor wires and it was good for a minute, but shorted out again? Is it a loose coil pack harness connection?

Thanks for reading. I think my next move is to go to a dealer or diagnostic place and hook it to the computer.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.