VW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a mysterious problem with my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen S.

About a year ago it started stalling at random times. Always at low RPM — either stopped, at low speed, or when coasting. Sometimes even on the highway when I'd let off the gas, the car would turn off. It always starts right back up easily.

A shop diagnosed and replaced the crankshaft position sensor. This relatively simple fix worked for a while.

Some months later, the same problem came back. This time, another shop replaced a speed sensor. This was more involved (and expensive) as it was located inside the transmission. This also fixed the problem for a while.

Now, the problem is back. Stalls at random times, sometimes stopped, sometimes moving, always at low RPM. No check engine light is on. I'm planning to bring it to VW dealer this time, but thought I'd see if this sounds familiar to anyone. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Without some codes read is impossible to diagnose something like this.
Best way to diagnose this would be to read the error codes RIGHT when the error occurs , WITHOUT turning off the ignition.
So buy yourself a cheap OBD bluetooth obd scanner , put it on the OBD port and when the car dies , read the codes WITHOUT turning the ignition off. Turning the ignition off might delete the codes and they won't show up on the scanner after restart.
I would say the problem is WIRING related ... wires tend to snap at the passage between the body and engine , under the air filter box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, two questions:

• I do own a plug-in OBD scanner. Any difference if I just pull over and plug that in without turning off the ignition? (rather than needing a bluetooth one)
• I'm not getting any check engine light or anything. Are you saying it's possible codes will still pop up?

Either way I'll test this out in practice. Appreciate the tip.

Without some codes read is impossible to diagnose something like this.
Best way to diagnose this would be to read the error codes RIGHT when the error occurs , WITHOUT turning off the ignition.
So buy yourself a cheap OBD bluetooth obd scanner , put it on the OBD port and when the car dies , read the codes WITHOUT turning the ignition off. Turning the ignition off might delete the codes and they won't show up on the scanner after restart.
I would say the problem is WIRING related ... wires tend to snap at the passage between the body and engine , under the air filter box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can pull over or do whatever needed to be don, just don't switch ignition off after the thing happens. This will clear whatever temporary error message was stored in ECU and not sure your OBD dongle can read freeze frame data.
No matter if you get check engine or not , if there is an error with one of the electronic components in the car , the error will be flagged even if no light pops up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts